Map Susŏn chŏndo 首善全圖 / Title in Chinese reading: Shou shan quan tu
About this Item
- Susŏn chŏndo
- Title in Chinese reading: Shou shan quan tu
- A Map of Seoul in the Period of Joseon Dynasty
- Suseon jeondo (Map of Seoul) is a wood-block print map of Seoul made by Kim Jeongho (1804--66), the leading geographer of the Joseon Dynasty in the 1840s. The word Suseon indicates Seoul, which was the capital and called Hanyang at that time, and jeondo means the complete map. An actual survey of the whole city by Kim Jeongho, the map shows major roads, facilities, villages, and other features of the capital in detail. The mountains, traditionally considered significant in connecting the sky with the authority of the king, are drawn larger than to scale. The map's historical and artistic value derives from its realistic description of the old Seoul and its delicacy as a work of art, making it famous as one of the finest depictions of the features of a traditional Korean city.
- Kim, Jeongho Cartographer
Created / Published
- Seoul : Kim Jeongho, [1840 to 1850]
- - Republic of Korea--Seoul
- - 1840 to 1850
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 leaf: 101.6 x 66.6 centimeters; woodblock print.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Korea.
- - Content in Korean and Chinese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- - Title revised per Asian Division.--cc28 2023-01-06
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Kim, Jeongho Cartographer. Susŏn Chŏndo. [Seoul: Kim Jeongho, to 1850, 1840] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668266/.
APA citation style:
Kim, J. C. (1840) Susŏn Chŏndo. [Seoul: Kim Jeongho, to 1850] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668266/.
MLA citation style:
Kim, Jeongho Cartographer. Susŏn Chŏndo. [Seoul: Kim Jeongho, to 1850, 1840] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668266/>.