Map Jiang nan zhi zao zong ju ping mian tu 江南制造总局平面图
About this Item
- Jiang nan zhi zao zong ju ping mian tu
- Plan of the Jiangnan General Manufacturing Bureau
- Shown here is the plan of the Jiangnan General Machinery Manufacturing Bureau located in Shanghai, with the title on the top, Jiangnan zhi zao zong ju ping mian tu (Plan of the Jiangnan General Manufacturing Bureau). The abbreviated names of the bureau were Jiangnan zhi zao ju (Jiangnan Manufacturing Bureau) and Jiangnan zhi zao zong ju (Jiangnan General Manufacturing Bureau). It was also known as Shanghai ji qi ju (Shanghai Machinery Bureau). Established to produce military equipment during the Westernization movement of the Qing dynasty, the bureau was the most important Chinese military arsenal in the late Qing. It was a modern military establishment of the largest scale, established by the Westernization group in the Qing government. The arsenal was also one of the earliest modern manufacturing installations among the bureau's factories. It was planned by Zeng Guofan (1811-72), the eminent vice president of the Board of War, and opened on September 20, 1865. The politician, diplomat, and general Li Hongzhang (1823-1901) later took charge of the arsenal. This was Li Hongzhang's largest Westernization enterprise in Shanghai. The scale of the plan shown here was one-eighth of an inch to ten feet (3.17 millimeters to 3.05 meters). The plan was drawn by a member of the Lei family, eight generations of whom made records of architectural designs for the imperial family, especially of the Summer Palace.
Created / Published
- [Place of publication not identified] : [Publisher not identified], [1851 to 1911]
- - China--Shanghai
- - 1851 to 1911
- - Architectural drawings
- - Machinery industry
- - Manuscript maps
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 93.6 x 21.5 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of China.
- - Content in Chinese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- - Title revised per Asian Division.--cc28 2023-01-06
- 1 online resource.
- Chinese Books, Manuscripts, Maps, and Prints
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Jiang Nan Zhi Zao Zong Ju Ping Mian Tu. [Place of publication not identified: Publisher not identified, to 1911, 1851] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668276/.
APA citation style:
(1851) Jiang Nan Zhi Zao Zong Ju Ping Mian Tu. [Place of publication not identified: Publisher not identified, to 1911] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668276/.
MLA citation style:
Jiang Nan Zhi Zao Zong Ju Ping Mian Tu. [Place of publication not identified: Publisher not identified, to 1911, 1851] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668276/>.