Map Yue yang zhi chang jiang ru hai ji zi jiang yin yan da yun he zhi Beijing gu gong shui dao cai se tu 岳阳至长江入海及自江阴沿大运河至北京故宮水道彩色图
About this Item
- Yue yang zhi chang jiang ru hai ji zi jiang yin yan da yun he zhi Beijing gu gong shui dao cai se tu
- Colored Waterway Map of the Grand Canal from Yueyang to the Yangtze River Estuary and from Jiangyin to the Forbidden City of Beijing.
- The world-famous Beijing-Hangzhou Grand Canal is the oldest and longest artificial waterway in the world. Starting from Beijing in the north, it passes southwards to Hangzhou. Construction of the canal, which links some of China's most important river networks, began in the fifth century BC. By the 13th century, the total length of the canal was more than 2,000 kilometers. Today, its length is 1794 kilometers. This map, executed in the traditional painting style, shows its entire length in a single long scroll. It is one of the key representative historical maps of the Grand Canal. The map includes the sections of the Yangtze River from below the Jing River to its estuary and sections through the important cities of Shaoxing and Hangzhou, until it ultimately reaches the imperial city of Beijing. Currents, place names, sluices, and dams along the waterway are marked. Pictorial images of cities, mountains, and rivers are provided. Prefectures and counties, as well as rivers and lakes, are given textual notations. The transport routes of grain ships are clearly indicated at key navigation courses and lock gates. Details concerning distances are provided for every section of the waterway. Information on water conservancy is also provided in great detail. The Grand Canal was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List in June 2014.
Created / Published
- [Place of publication not identified] : [Publisher not identified], [1736 to 1861]
- - China--Beijing--Beijing
- - China--Hebei Province
- - China--Jiangsu Province
- - China--Shandong Province
- - China--Tianjin--Tianjin
- - China--Zhejiang Province
- - 1736 to 1861
- - Canals
- - Grand Canal (China)
- - Shipping
- - Yangtze River (China)
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 scroll ; 31 x 945 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of China.
- - Content in Chinese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- - Title revised per Asian Division.--cc28 2023-01-06
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Yue yang zhi chang jiang ru hai ji zi jiang yin yan da yun he zhi Beijing gu gong shui dao cai se tu. [Place of publication not identified: Publisher not identified, to 1861, 1736] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668277/.
APA citation style:
(1736) Yue yang zhi chang jiang ru hai ji zi jiang yin yan da yun he zhi Beijing gu gong shui dao cai se tu. [Place of publication not identified: Publisher not identified, to 1861] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668277/.
MLA citation style:
Yue yang zhi chang jiang ru hai ji zi jiang yin yan da yun he zhi Beijing gu gong shui dao cai se tu. [Place of publication not identified: Publisher not identified, to 1861, 1736] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668277/>.