Map Da qing wan nian yi tong di li quan tu 大清萬年一統地理全圖
About this Item
- Da qing wan nian yi tong di li quan tu
- Complete Geographical Map of the Great Qing Dynasty.
- Da Qing wan nian yi tong di li yuan tu (Complete geographical map of the great Qing dynasty) is a map of China during the Qing dynasty. A typical map of the administrative divisions of China in this period, it is a revised edition, issued between 1796 and 1820, of the map originally drawn by Huang Qianren (1694-1771) in the 32nd year (1767) of the Qianlong reign. The new material is shown in blue and green. Information has been added relating to all the newly established prefectures, sub-prefectures, departments, and districts from the end of the Kangxi reign in 1722 to the beginning of Jiaqing in 1796. The annotations on the map mention the usefulness of marking every 100 square li (a Chinese unit of distance; one li equals about 0.5 kilometer), but such a scale is not shown on the map. The mapmaker's original intention was to create eight vertical scrolls that could be seen hanging on a wall, allowing the viewer to see a representation of the rivers and mountains of China. However, in order to make the map easier to fold and store, during the mounting of the scrolls the map was cut into 24 sheets, which then were combined into a single map.
- Huang, Qianren, active 18th century Cartographer.
Created / Published
- [Place of publication not identified] : [Publisher not identified], [1796 to 1820]
- - China
- - 1767 to 1796
- - Administrative and political divisions
- - Qing dynasty, 1644-1911
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 map (24 sheets) ; 135 x 236 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of China.
- - Content in Chinese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- - Title revised per Asian Division.--cc28 2023-01-06
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Huang, Qianren, Active 18Th Century Cartographer. Da Qing Wan Nian Yi Tong DI LI Quan Tu. [Place of publication not identified: Publisher not identified, to 1820, 1796] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668286/.
APA citation style:
Huang, Q. (1796) Da Qing Wan Nian Yi Tong DI LI Quan Tu. [Place of publication not identified: Publisher not identified, to 1820] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668286/.
MLA citation style:
Huang, Qianren, Active 18Th Century Cartographer. Da Qing Wan Nian Yi Tong DI LI Quan Tu. [Place of publication not identified: Publisher not identified, to 1820, 1796] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668286/>.