About this Item
- This map of Brazil is a Tallis map, identifiable by the scrolling on the borders and the finely-drawn scenes inscribed on the map. John Tallis and Co. was a British mapmaking firm that operated from roughly 1835 to 1860. The map was drawn and engraved by cartographer John Rapkin. Tallis maps were known for their accurate designs and numerous place names and geographical details, as well as for the use of shaded areas to indicate topographical features. The fine craftsmanship of the map can be seen in the color illustrations in the four corners showing "Boats on the Rio Negro" (upper left), "St. Catharina" (upper right), "Monte Video" and "Cape St. Antonio, Bahia" (lower left), and "Rio de Janeiro" (lower right).
- Lacey, W. Engraver.
- Rapkin, John, 1815-1876 Creator.
- Winkles, H. Illustrator.
Created / Published
- London and New York : John Tallis & Company, 1851.
- - Brazil
- - 1851
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 map : color ; 31 x 22 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Brazil.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Lacey, W. Engraver, John Rapkin, and H. Illustrator Winkles. Brazil. London and New York: John Tallis & Company, 1851. Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668296/.
APA citation style:
Lacey, W. E., Rapkin, J. & Winkles, H. I. (1851) Brazil. London and New York: John Tallis & Company. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668296/.
MLA citation style:
Lacey, W. Engraver, John Rapkin, and H. Illustrator Winkles. Brazil. London and New York: John Tallis & Company, 1851. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668296/>.