About this Item
- Heinrich Neuhaus (1833--87) was a German-born map maker and lithographer who worked in Sweden for many years. His largest and best-known work is this panoramic map of Stockholm, which he created in the 1870s using an oblique image in isometric perspective. The buildings on the map are depicted with remarkable accuracy. Neuhaus is reported to have said that in order to produce the map, he walked through every neighborhood of the city and sketched the exterior of its buildings and other structures. The map captures the rapid growth of Stockholm that was characteristic of major European cities in the second half of the 19th century. Neuhaus made maps in a similarly three-dimensional style of the Stockholm districts of Norrmalm, Sodermalm, and Ostermalm.
- Neuhaus, Heinrich, 1833-1887 Cartographer.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1870.
- - Sweden--Stockholm County--Stockholm
- - 1870
- - Cities and towns
- - Panoramic views
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 print : litography ; 57 x 74 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Sweden.
- - Content in Swedish.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Neuhaus, Heinrich, Cartographer. Stockholm. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1870] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668307/.
APA citation style:
Neuhaus, H. (1870) Stockholm. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668307/.
MLA citation style:
Neuhaus, Heinrich, Cartographer. Stockholm. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1870] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668307/>.