Map Culhuacán, Mexico.
About this Item
- Culhuacán, Mexico.
- This map from Culhuacán in the present-day Delegación de Ixtapalapa, Mexico City, is from the Relaciones Geográficas collection in the Benson Latin American Collection at the University of Texas at Austin. Dating from between 1578 and 1586, the Relaciones Geográficas are responses to a questionnaire initiated by the Spanish crown in 1577, requesting information about Spanish-held territories in the Americas. The questionnaires covered such topics as demographics, political administration, languages spoken, physical terrain, and vegetation. The crown received 191 responses to these questionnaires. Of the 167 responses known to exist, 43 are in the Benson Latin American Collection. The others are held at the Archivo General de Indias, Seville, and the Real Academia de la Historia, Madrid. The relaciones contain important historical, cultural, and geographical information about New Spain during the 16th century. Many of the questionnaires are accompanied by maps and pictures. These both convey information about such topics as the colonial economy and the spread of European religion in New Spain and are artifacts for the study of the history of Latin American art and manuscript painting. This map, dated January 17, 1580, has glosses in Spanish.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1580-01-17.
- - Mexico--Distrito Federal--Mexico City
- - 1580
- - Art, Mexican
- - Aztec art
- - Aztecs
- - Indians of Mexico
- - Indigenous peoples
- - Manuscript maps
- - New Spain
- - Pictorial maps
- - Spain--Colonies
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 70 x 54 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: University of Texas Libraries.
- - Content in Spanish.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Relaciones Geográficas of Mexico and Guatemala, 1577-1585, Joaquín García Icazbalceta Manuscript Collection
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Culhuacán, Mexico. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -01-17, 1580] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668309/.
APA citation style:
(1580) Culhuacán, Mexico. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -01-17] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668309/.
MLA citation style:
Culhuacán, Mexico. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -01-17, 1580] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668309/>.