Map Map of the Fortress of Cobras Island. Planta da Fortaleza da Ilha das Cobras
About this Item
- Map of the Fortress of Cobras Island.
- Planta da Fortaleza da Ilha das Cobras
- This map shows the fort on the Island of Cobras, located in the harbor off the coast of Rio de Janeiro. The island was considered an important line of defense for the city of Rio de Janeiro and the approach to the colonial capital. The first fort was erected on the island in the 1620s, when Portugal's Brazilian holdings were under threat from the Dutch as well as from the French and the English. Over the next century, the fort was rebuilt and expanded. Eventually, it included a house for the fort commander, a chapel, barracks, and storehouses for supplies.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1700 to 1799]
- - Brazil
- - 1700 to 1799
- - Cobras Island
- - Forts and fortifications
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Brazil.
- - Content in Portuguese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Map of the Fortress of Cobras Island. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1799, 1700] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668320/.
APA citation style:
(1700) Map of the Fortress of Cobras Island. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1799] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668320/.
MLA citation style:
Map of the Fortress of Cobras Island. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1799, 1700] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668320/>.