Map Geographic Map of the Captaincy of Mato Grosso. Carta geografica da capitania do Mato Grosso
About this Item
- Geographic Map of the Captaincy of Mato Grosso.
- Carta geografica da capitania do Mato Grosso
- This hand-colored manuscript map shows the topography of the Brazilian state of Mato Grosso, along with parts of Grão Pará, the Negro River, Goiás, and São Paulo. It also shows the Assumpção province of Paraguay and the western provinces of the Moxós and Chiquitos Indians. The latter regions, important areas in the Guarani War of 1756, were at the center of the disputes over territory between the crowns of Spain and Portugal. Important notes on the right side of the map provide information about two treaties between the two kingdoms: the Treaty of Madrid (1750) and the First Treaty of Santo Ildefonso (1777), both of which defined the extent of Spain's and Portugal's respective holdings in South America.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1800.
- - Brazil--Mato Grosso
- - 1800
- - Manuscript maps
- - Territorial questions
- - Treaties
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 manuscript map : color ; 62 x 69 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Brazil.
- - Content in Portuguese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Geographic Map of the Captaincy of Mato Grosso. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1800] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668345/.
APA citation style:
(1800) Geographic Map of the Captaincy of Mato Grosso. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668345/.
MLA citation style:
Geographic Map of the Captaincy of Mato Grosso. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1800] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668345/>.