Map Java and Australia. Iava Maior e Nuca Antara [Java e Australia]
About this Item
- Java and Australia.
- Iava Maior e Nuca Antara [Java e Australia]
- This manuscript map of Java and the tip of northern Australia is a copy of an earlier work by the Malaysian-Portuguese cartographer Emanuel Godinho de Eredia (1563-1623). In the 16th century, Portugal sent several expeditions to explore the islands south of Malaysia; it is possible that they gained some knowledge about the geography of Australia from these missions. Some scholars have speculated that the Malays had a knowledge of Australia, which Eredia somehow absorbed. The first documented European sighting of Australia was by the Dutch navigator Willem Janszoon, in 1606.
- Eredia, Manuel Godinho de, 1563-1623 Creator.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1630.
- - Portugal
- - Australia
- - Indonesia--Java
- - 1575 to 1623
- - Exploration and encounters
- - Manuscript maps
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 manuscript map ; 37 x 49 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Brazil.
- - Content in Portuguese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Eredia, Manuel Godinho De, Creator. Java and Australia. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1630] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668359/.
APA citation style:
Eredia, M. G. D. (1630) Java and Australia. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668359/.
MLA citation style:
Eredia, Manuel Godinho De, Creator. Java and Australia. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1630] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668359/>.