Map New Image of Brazil. Novus Brasiliae typus
About this Item
- New Image of Brazil.
- Novus Brasiliae typus
- This map of Brazil is the work of Willem Blaeu (1571-1638), the founder of a famous Dutch mapmaking dynasty. Blaeu studied astronomy, mathematics, and globe-making with the Danish scholar Tycho Brahe before establishing his mapmaking studio in Amsterdam. In 1633, he was appointed mapmaker of the Dutch East India Company. In 1635, together with his sons Joan and Cornelis, Blaeu published the Atlas Novus (New atlas), an 11-volume work consisting of 594 maps.
- Blaeu, Willem Janszoon, 1571-1638 Cartographer.
Created / Published
- Amsterdam, Holland : [publisher not identified], 1631.
- - Brazil
- - 1631
- - Brazil -- History -- Dutch Domain, 1624-1654
- - Indians of South America
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 map; 38 x 49.1 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Brazil.
- - Content in Latin.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Blaeu, Willem Janszoon, Cartographer. New Image of Brazil. [Amsterdam, Holland: publisher not identified, 1631] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668368/.
APA citation style:
Blaeu, W. J. (1631) New Image of Brazil. [Amsterdam, Holland: publisher not identified] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668368/.
MLA citation style:
Blaeu, Willem Janszoon, Cartographer. New Image of Brazil. [Amsterdam, Holland: publisher not identified, 1631] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668368/>.