Map Guyana, or, the Kingdom of the Amazons. Guiana, siue, Amazonum Regio
About this Item
- Guyana, or, the Kingdom of the Amazons.
- Guiana, siue, Amazonum Regio
- This map of colonial Guiana (present-day Suriname) is the work of Jan Jansson (died 1664), a Dutch cartographer who married into the Hondius family of illustrious mapmakers. Jodocus Hondius (1563-1612) and his sons, Jodocus and Henricus, engraved maps of the Americas and Europe, and were instrumental in popularizing the work of Gerard Mercator, the developer of the Mercator Projection that allowed navigators to use a flat map reflecting the curvature of the globe. The Hondius family published an early pocket-size atlas of the Mercator map. The atlas series grew under the leadership of Jannson, so that by 1660 there were 11 volumes, including maps of the seas, the heavens, and most of the world's major cities.
- Jansson, Jan, 1588-1664 Cartographer.
Created / Published
- Amsterdam, Holland : [publisher not identified], [1600 to 1664]
- - France--French Guiana
- - Brazil
- - Guyana
- - Suriname
- - 1600 to 1664
- - Indigenous peoples
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 color map; 37.5 x 48.5 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Brazil.
- - Content in Latin.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Jansson, Jan, Cartographer. Guyana, or, the Kingdom of the Amazons. [Amsterdam, Holland: publisher not identified, to 1664, 1600] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668371/.
APA citation style:
Jansson, J. (1600) Guyana, or, the Kingdom of the Amazons. [Amsterdam, Holland: publisher not identified, to 1664] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668371/.
MLA citation style:
Jansson, Jan, Cartographer. Guyana, or, the Kingdom of the Amazons. [Amsterdam, Holland: publisher not identified, to 1664, 1600] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668371/>.