Map A Most Accurate Picture of Brazil. Accuratissima Brasiliae tabula
About this Item
- A Most Accurate Picture of Brazil.
- Accuratissima Brasiliae tabula
- This early map showing Bahia state in Brazil is the work of Henricus Hondius (died 1638), a member of a famous Dutch mapmaking family. His father, Jodocus Hondius (1563-1612), acquired the plates for Gerard Mercator's Atlas in 1604, and in 1606 published a new edition of this work. Henricus and his brother-in-law, Jan Jannson (died 1664), published the Novus Atlas (New atlas) in 1637. Dutch maps of the 16th century were marked by illustrated inserts, as seen on this map, and were generally the work of mapmaking families.
- Hondius, Hendrik, 1597-1651 Creator.
Created / Published
- Amsterdam, Netherlands : [publisher not identified], 1630.
- - Brazil--Bahia
- - Brazil--Pernambuco
- - 1600 to 1650
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 map : 38 x 49 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Brazil.
- - Content in Latin.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Hondius, Hendrik, Creator. A Most Accurate Picture of Brazil. [Amsterdam, Netherlands: publisher not identified, 1630] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668372/.
APA citation style:
Hondius, H. (1630) A Most Accurate Picture of Brazil. [Amsterdam, Netherlands: publisher not identified] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668372/.
MLA citation style:
Hondius, Hendrik, Creator. A Most Accurate Picture of Brazil. [Amsterdam, Netherlands: publisher not identified, 1630] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668372/>.