Map The Marañon or Amazon River with the Mission of the Society of Jesus. El gran rio Marañon o Amazonas con la Mission de la Compañia de Iesus
About this Item
- The Marañon or Amazon River with the Mission of the Society of Jesus.
- El gran rio Marañon o Amazonas con la Mission de la Compañia de Iesus
- This map of the Amazon River is by Samuel Fritz (1654-1728), a Jesuit missionary who mapped the basin of the Amazon River. Born in the province of Bohemia (now part of the Czech Republic), Fritz became a priest in 1673. He was sent to Quito in present-day Ecuador as a missionary in 1684 and spent the next 40 years ministering to the native people of the Upper Marañon region. He began mapping the region as part of a project to clarify the borders of missionary lands, Spanish lands, and Portuguese lands. He later undertook a project to chart the course of the Amazon. Despite having no training as a cartographer and using only very primitive instruments, Fritz completed a relatively accurate chart of the area. He was the first to follow the Marañon, a tributary of the Amazon, to its source. This map was first printed in Quito in 1707 and later extensively copied in Europe.
- Fritz, Samuel, 1654-1724 Cartographer.
Created / Published
- Quito, Ecuador : Juan de Narvaes, 1707.
- - Brazil
- - 1686 to 1707
- - Amazon River
- - Cartography
- - Jesuits
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 map ; 31 x 39 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Brazil.
- - Content in Spanish.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Fritz, Samuel, Cartographer. The Marañon or Amazon River with the Mission of the Society of Jesus. Quito, Ecuador: Juan de Narvaes, 1707. Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668377/.
APA citation style:
Fritz, S. (1707) The Marañon or Amazon River with the Mission of the Society of Jesus. Quito, Ecuador: Juan de Narvaes. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668377/.
MLA citation style:
Fritz, Samuel, Cartographer. The Marañon or Amazon River with the Mission of the Society of Jesus. Quito, Ecuador: Juan de Narvaes, 1707. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668377/>.