Map Map of the Battle of Catalan: Dated the 4th of January in 1817. Plano de la Batalla de catalã: dada en 4 de Enero de 1817 en le sitio llamado Catalan
About this Item
- Map of the Battle of Catalan: Dated the 4th of January in 1817.
- Plano de la Batalla de catalã: dada en 4 de Enero de 1817 en le sitio llamado Catalan
- This hand-colored manuscript map depicts the Battle of Catalan, January 4, 1817, in which the Portuguese Army, operating from southern Brazil, defeated forces led by José Gervasio Artigas, the leader in the struggle for Uruguayan independence. Portugal was tacitly allied with the government in Buenos Aires, which was seeking to retain its grip on the eastern province of Argentina that would become the independent country of Uruguay.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1817 to 1899]
- - Brazil
- - 1817
- - Battle of Catalán
- - Battles
- - Cartography
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 manuscript map ; 41 x 58 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Brazil.
- - Content in Spanish.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Map of the Battle of Catalan: Dated the 4th of January in. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1899, 1817] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668381/.
APA citation style:
(1817) Map of the Battle of Catalan: Dated the 4th of January in. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1899] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668381/.
MLA citation style:
Map of the Battle of Catalan: Dated the 4th of January in. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1899, 1817] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668381/>.