Map Map of French Guyana and of the Island of Cayenne. Carte de la Guyane françoise et l'isle de Cayenne
About this Item
- Map of French Guyana and of the Island of Cayenne.
- Carte de la Guyane françoise et l'isle de Cayenne
- This map of French Guyana and the island of Cayenne is by Jacques Bellin (1703-72), a prolific cartographer attached to the French Marine Office. It reflects the careful mapping of bays, seas, and harbors that characterized 18th-century French naval cartography. In addition to the detailed information about the coast, Bellin's map includes notes about the interior of this part of South America, much of which was still largely uncharted by the Europeans.
- Bellin, Jacques-Nicolas, 1703-1772 Cartographer.
Created / Published
- Versailles, France : [publisher not identified], 1763.
- - France--French Guiana--Cayenne
- - 1763
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 map : 40 x 58.5 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Brazil.
- - Content in French.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Bellin, Jacques-Nicolas, Cartographer. Map of French Guyana and of the Island of Cayenne. [Versailles, France: publisher not identified, 1763] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668386/.
APA citation style:
Bellin, J. (1763) Map of French Guyana and of the Island of Cayenne. [Versailles, France: publisher not identified] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668386/.
MLA citation style:
Bellin, Jacques-Nicolas, Cartographer. Map of French Guyana and of the Island of Cayenne. [Versailles, France: publisher not identified, 1763] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668386/>.