Map Map of the Battles of Bull Run Near Manassas.
About this Item
- Map of the Battles of Bull Run Near Manassas.
- This printed map by the Office of the Chief Engineer of the War Department details the fighting at the Battle of Bull Run on July 21, 1861. Named for the creek or "run" in northern Virginia along which the fighting took place, Bull Run was the first major battle of the American Civil War. After halting several attacks ordered by Union commander General Irvin McDowell, the Confederates under General Pierre Beauregard launched a successful counterattack that drove the tired and inexperienced Union forces back toward Washington. The failure of the Union Army to win a victory at Bull Run signaled the onset of a long and costly war. In a conflict that lasted just over four years, approximately 620,000 American soldiers died, around 360,000 on the Union side, and around 260,000 on the Confederate side. The chief results of the war were the abolition of slavery and the preservation of the United States as a union.
- Bamberger, Solomon Cartographer.
Created / Published
- Richmond, Virginia : West & Johnston, 1861-07-21.
- - United States of America--Virginia--Manassas
- - 1861 to 1865
- - Battles
- - Lithographs
- - United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 map (color lithography).
- - Original resource at: U.S. National Archives and Records Administration.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- United States History
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Bamberger, Solomon Cartographer. Map of the Battles of Bull Run Near Manassas. Richmond, Virginia: West & Johnston, -07-21, 1861. Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668395/.
APA citation style:
Bamberger, S. C. (1861) Map of the Battles of Bull Run Near Manassas. Richmond, Virginia: West & Johnston, -07-21. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668395/.
MLA citation style:
Bamberger, Solomon Cartographer. Map of the Battles of Bull Run Near Manassas. Richmond, Virginia: West & Johnston, -07-21, 1861. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668395/>.