Map Geographic Chart of the Kingdom of Chile. Tabula Geographica Regni Chile
About this Item
- Geographic Chart of the Kingdom of Chile.
- Tabula Geographica Regni Chile
- This map by the Chilean Jesuit priest Alonso de Ovalle (1601--51) appears in his book Histórica Relación del Reyno de Chile (Historical narration about the kingdom of Chile), considered the first history of the country. The map is the result of a major descriptive effort begun during Ovalle's first trip to Europe, as "Procurator" of Chile, in 1641. At the time, the Jesuits needed support for their missionary work in the south of Chile, and Ovalle was commissioned to recruit help and raise money. Answering the need for information about the country, Ovalle's book and map were published in Rome in 1646, in both Spanish and Italian editions. The printer was Francesco Cavallo; Ovalle dedicated the work to Pope Innocent X. The book highlighted Jesuit missionary activities and focused on the physical, social, and cultural aspects of Chile during the first 40 years of the 17th century. It provided detailed topographical and ethnological descriptions of the southern settlements. Ovalle's map complemented the text with illustrations of volcanoes, rivers, and lakes, along with decorative images of wildlife and vegetation and scenes of people engaged in various social and commercial activities. The figure of a native with a tail is a puzzling, unexplained detail. From a cartographic perspective, the map contains errors. In his statement to the reader (Ad Lectorem), Ovalle admits uncertainties and the absence of longitudes. The orientation of the map is unusual. North (septentrio) is on the left, placing Tierra del Fuego on the right. The Strait of Magellan divides the mainland from "Terra Incognita," the as-yet unknown Antarctica, which is placed in the upper right-hand corner, to the southeast of the South American continent.
- Ovalle, Alonso de, 1601-1651 Cartographer.
- Society of Jesus Associated Name.
Created / Published
- Rome : Francesco Cavallo, 1646.
- - Chile
- - 1641
- - Exploration and encounters
- - Magellan, Strait of (Chile and Argentina)
- - Tierra del Fuego (Argentina)
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 map ; 23 x 13 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Chile.
- - Content in Latin.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Ovalle, Alonso De, Cartographer, and Society Of Jesus Associated Name. Geographic Chart of the Kingdom of Chile. Rome: Francesco Cavallo, 1646. Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668423/.
APA citation style:
Ovalle, A. D. & Society Of Jesus Associated Name. (1646) Geographic Chart of the Kingdom of Chile. Rome: Francesco Cavallo. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668423/.
MLA citation style:
Ovalle, Alonso De, Cartographer, and Society Of Jesus Associated Name. Geographic Chart of the Kingdom of Chile. Rome: Francesco Cavallo, 1646. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668423/>.