Map Map of the Strait of Magellan Developed by the Schouten and Le Maire Expedition, 1616. Mapa del Estrecho de Magallanes elaborado por la expedición de Schouten y Le Maire, 1616
About this Item
- Map of the Strait of Magellan Developed by the Schouten and Le Maire Expedition, 1616.
- Mapa del Estrecho de Magallanes elaborado por la expedición de Schouten y Le Maire, 1616
- In June 1615, Dutch navigators Jacob Le Maire (circa 1585--1616) and Willem Corneliszoon Schouten (circa 1567--1625) set out in two ships, the Eendracht and the Hoorn, from the Dutch port of Texel, seeking to find a new route to the East Indies. They made landfall on the coast of South America in early December, at Port Desire (present-day Puerto Deseado, Argentina). This near-contemporary print shows the sailors from the Hoorn and the Eendracht at work on shore. Seeking to replenish their supplies after nearly six months at sea, the sailors found an abundance of marine life, nests of penguins and gulls filled with eggs, and large animals that they hunted for meat. In the foreground, sailors are seen killing sea lions using lances, axes, and knives. In the distance, other men can be seen investigating a burial site. The compass rose at the center indicates that the map is oriented with south at the top. Penguins, llamas, and ñandues (American ostriches) are shown at the top. After leaving Argentina in late January of 1616, Le Maire and Schouten became the first Europeans to round Cape Horn. The map is from a French translation, published in Amsterdam in 1622, of Historia general de los hechos de los Castellanos en las islas y tierra firma del Mar Oceano (General history of the deeds of the Castilians on the islands and mainland of the Ocean Sea) by the Spanish historian Antonio de Herrera (1559--1625).
- de Herrera y Tordesillas, Antoine, 1559-1625 Editor.
- Le Maire, Jacob, 1585-1616 Creator.
- Schouten, Willem Corneliszoon, 1567?-1625 Creator.
Created / Published
- Amsterdam, Netherlands : Chez Emanuel Colin de Thovoyon, 1622.
- - Argentina--Santa Cruz--Puerto Deseado
- - 1616 to 1622
- - Animals
- - Exploration and encounters
- - Hunting
- - Magellan, Strait of (Chile and Argentina)
- - Sailors
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "From: 'Description des Indes Occidentales, qu'on appelle aujourdhuy le Nouveau Monde' / par Antoine de Herrera ... ; translatée d'espagnol en françois. Amsterdam : chez Emanuel Colin de Thovoyon marchandt libraire ; Paris : Chez Michel Soly [distribuidor], 1622. 54 pages"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 1 map.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Chile.
- - Content in French.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
De Herrera Y Tordesillas, Antoine, Editor, Jacob Le Maire, and Willem Corneliszoon Schouten. Map of the Strait of Magellan Developed by the Schouten and Le Maire Expedition. Amsterdam, Netherlands: Chez Emanuel Colin de Thovoyon, 1622. Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668425/.
APA citation style:
De Herrera Y Tordesillas, A., Le Maire, J. & Schouten, W. C. (1622) Map of the Strait of Magellan Developed by the Schouten and Le Maire Expedition. Amsterdam, Netherlands: Chez Emanuel Colin de Thovoyon. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668425/.
MLA citation style:
De Herrera Y Tordesillas, Antoine, Editor, Jacob Le Maire, and Willem Corneliszoon Schouten. Map of the Strait of Magellan Developed by the Schouten and Le Maire Expedition. Amsterdam, Netherlands: Chez Emanuel Colin de Thovoyon, 1622. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668425/>.