Map Palace of the Elector of Brandenburg. Residentia Electoralis Brandenburgica
About this Item
- Palace of the Elector of Brandenburg.
- Residentia Electoralis Brandenburgica
- This birds-eye view map offers a detailed picture of the Berlin palace of the elector of Brandenburg as it appeared in 1688. The residence was part of a large fortress that Frederick William I (1620--88) ordered built following the end of the Thirty Years' War (1618--48) in Germany. Construction began in 1650 under the direction of the architect and engineer, Johann Gregor Memhardt (1607--78), and continued for more than a quarter of a century. The complex, also known as the Berlin Fortress, had five city gates and 13 bastions. Frederick William I was elector of Brandenburg and duke of Prussia from 1640 until his death. Known as "the Great Elector," he was responsible for reforms that laid the basis for the elevation of Prussia from duchy to kingdom under his son, Frederick III, elector of Brandenburg (1657--1713), who became King Frederick I of Prussia in 1701. The map is by Johann Bernhard Schultz, a medallion maker, engineer, and cartographer from Berlin, who died in 1695.
- Schultz, Johann Bernhard, died 1695 Cartographer.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1688.
- - Germany--Berlin--Berlin
- - 1688
- - Forts and fortifications
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 map.
- - Original resource at: Berlin State Library - Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation.
- - Content in Latin.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- World History
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Schultz, Johann Bernhard, Died 1695 Cartographer. Palace of the Elector of Brandenburg. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1688] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668458/.
APA citation style:
Schultz, J. B. (1688) Palace of the Elector of Brandenburg. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668458/.
MLA citation style:
Schultz, Johann Bernhard, Died 1695 Cartographer. Palace of the Elector of Brandenburg. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1688] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668458/>.