Map Maritime Atlas.
About this Item
- Maritime Atlas.
- This work is an illuminated and illustrated maritime atlas, referred to as the Walters Deniz atlası. It is one of the earliest Ottoman atlases, tentatively dated to around the mid-16th century. The work contains eight double-page charts executed on parchment. Four of the maps show the Mediterranean, Aegean, and Black seas. There is also a world map and a chart of the Indian Ocean. The various geographical names are written in black nasta'līq script. A distinguishing feature of this atlas is the detailed approach to representing such features as city vignettes. The charts are drawn in various colors, including black, red, gold, green, blue, deep rose, light green, and yellow.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1500 to 1600]
- - 1500 to 1600
- - Illuminations
- - Nautical charts
- - World maps
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Walters Ms. W.660"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: Dimensions: 22.5 centimeters wide by 30 centimeters high. Foliation: ii+9.
- - Original resource at: Walters Art Museum.
- - Content in Ottoman Turkish (1500-1928).
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Maritime Atlas. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1600, 1500] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668462/.
APA citation style:
(1500) Maritime Atlas. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1600] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668462/.
MLA citation style:
Maritime Atlas. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1600, 1500] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668462/>.