Map Map of Greenland. Grønlandia Antiqua
About this Item
- Map of Greenland.
- Grønlandia Antiqua
- This map of Greenland is by Hans Poulsen Egede (1686--1758), the Norwegian-born Lutheran clergyman and missionary known as the "Apostle of Greenland." Egede made two journeys, in 1723 and in 1724, to explore the west coast of Greenland with the goals of mapping the coastline and obtaining information about the ancient Norse settlements on the island. Egede lived and worked in Greenland from 1721 to 1736. Upon his return to Denmark, he had this map made and published a book, Omstændelig og udførlig relation, angaaende den grønlandske missions begyndelse og fortsættelse, samt hvad ellers mere der ved landets recognoscering (Relation, about the beginning and continuation of the Greenland missions; Copenhagen, 1738), in which he described his many initial difficulties. The map is extensively annotated in Danish and includes a scene at the lower right apparently depicting Inuits and Europeans in a fight with bows and arrows. The cartouche reads: "A new outline of the western side of Old Greenland from 60 to 67 degrees surveyed in 1723 and 1724 and along the land and in the fiords diligently reconnoitered by Hans Egede, first Royal Danish Missionary in Greenland. Copenhagen, 4 January, 1737."
- Egede, Hans, 1686-1758 Artist.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1737-01-04.
- - Denmark--Greenland
- - 1723 to 1724
- - Exploration and encounters
- - Indigenous peoples
- - Manuscript maps
- - Missionaries
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 48 x 60 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Royal Library (The), Denmark.
- - Content in Danish.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Egede, Hans, Artist. Map of Greenland. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -01-04, 1737] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668471/.
APA citation style:
Egede, H. (1737) Map of Greenland. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -01-04] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668471/.
MLA citation style:
Egede, Hans, Artist. Map of Greenland. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -01-04, 1737] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668471/>.