Map Map of the Mayance Nations and Languages.
About this Item
- Map of the Mayance Nations and Languages.
- This circa-1934 map, prepared for Maya Society Quarterly and printed by the National Printing Office, Guatemala, shows the distribution of the Mayance (Mayan) nations and languages in present-day southern Mexico, Guatemala, and western Honduras in the period from about 1000 to 1500. The map is based on the research of William E. Gates (1863--1940), an American Mayanist and collector of Mesoamerican manuscripts who worked for many decades on deciphering Maya hieroglyphic writing. Among the languages mapped by Gates are Maya (now known as Yucatec Maya), Cholti, Q'eqchi', and Huastec. Shown on the map are language boundaries, ancient place-names, and trails and ancient roads, along with modern state boundaries, place-names, railroads, and other geographic features.
- Gates, William, 1863-1940 Contributor.
- Maya Society Creator.
Created / Published
- Guatemala : National Printing Office, 1934.
- - Belize
- - El Salvador
- - Guatemala
- - Honduras
- - Mexico
- - Nicaragua
- - 1000 to 1500
- - Indians of Central America
- - Indians of Mexico
- - Indigenous peoples
- - Mayan languages
- - Mayas
- - Mesoamerica
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 map : color ; 30 x 38 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Columbus Memorial Library, Organization of American States.
- - Content in English and Spanish.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Gates, William, Contributor, and Maya Society Creator. Map of the Mayance Nations and Languages. Guatemala: National Printing Office, 1934. Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668475/.
APA citation style:
Gates, W. & Maya Society Creator. (1934) Map of the Mayance Nations and Languages. Guatemala: National Printing Office. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668475/.
MLA citation style:
Gates, William, Contributor, and Maya Society Creator. Map of the Mayance Nations and Languages. Guatemala: National Printing Office, 1934. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668475/>.