Map Map of the Republic of Colombia.
About this Item
- Map of the Republic of Colombia.
- This 1891 map of Colombia depicts the main physical features and administrative divisions of the country. It shows national and departmental borders, the capitals of departments, other cities, villages, railroads (completed and projected), and highways. Present-day Panama, which did not become independent until 1903, is still shown as a department of Colombia. The railroad across the Isthmus of Panama, from Colón to Panama City, is indicated, but the Panama Canal has not yet been built. The eastern part of the country is shown as thinly settled and not well mapped, but the many tributaries flowing southeastward into the Amazon are clearly visible. Parts of the neighboring countries of Venezuela, Brazil, Ecuador, and Peru are shown. An unusual feature of the map is the setting of the prime meridian at the capital city of Bogota (approximately 74°W), rather than at Greenwich, United Kingdom, which was standard practice among mapmakers at that time. The map was issued by William M. Bradley & Company, a prominent late-19th century publisher of maps and atlases based in Philadelphia.
Created / Published
- Philadelphia : William M. Bradley and Company, 1891.
- - Colombia
- - Panama
- - 1891
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Scale around 1 inch to 6,336,000 feet"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 1 map : mounted on linen, color ; 29 x 26 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Columbus Memorial Library, Organization of American States.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Map of the Republic of Colombia. Philadelphia: William M. Bradley and Company, 1891. Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668482/.
APA citation style:
(1891) Map of the Republic of Colombia. Philadelphia: William M. Bradley and Company. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668482/.
MLA citation style:
Map of the Republic of Colombia. Philadelphia: William M. Bradley and Company, 1891. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668482/>.