Map British Guiana.
About this Item
- British Guiana.
- This map, prepared and printed in 1908 at the office of the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, United Kingdom, provides a relatively detailed view of the geography of British Guiana (present-day Guyana), one of only two British colonies on the mainland of South and Central America (the other being British Honduras). A note indicates that the portion of the map north of 5° North latitude is from a map prepared by the government surveyor of British Guiana, while the remainder of the map "has been compiled from various sources and is less reliable." Much of the territory in the south of the country was as yet unexplored. Bordered to the west by Venezuela, to the south by Brazil, and to the east by Dutch Guiana (present-day Suriname), British Guiana was the subject of a longstanding border dispute with Venezuela, in which the United States became involved and that was settled by arbitration in 1899. The map reflects the settlement, which awarded Britain most of the disputed territory but gave Venezuela undisputed control over the Orinoco River. The map shows international borders, cities and towns, railroads, posts and forts, and physical features such as rivers, cataracts, and hills and mountains.
- Anderson, Charles Wilgress Surveyor.
- Great Britain. Ordnance Survey Creator.
Created / Published
- Southampton, England : Ordnance Survey Office, 1908.
- - Guyana
- - 1908
- - Great Britain--Colonies
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Scale 1 inch to 25 miles"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 54 x 81 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Columbus Memorial Library, Organization of American States.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Anderson, Charles Wilgress Surveyor, and Great Britain. Ordnance Survey Creator. British Guiana. Southampton, England: Ordnance Survey Office, 1908. Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668492/.
APA citation style:
Anderson, C. W. S. & Great Britain. Ordnance Survey Creator. (1908) British Guiana. Southampton, England: Ordnance Survey Office. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668492/.
MLA citation style:
Anderson, Charles Wilgress Surveyor, and Great Britain. Ordnance Survey Creator. British Guiana. Southampton, England: Ordnance Survey Office, 1908. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668492/>.