Map Railroad Map of British Honduras.
About this Item
- Railroad Map of British Honduras.
- This map, produced in the 1920s by the Transportation Department of the United States Department of Commerce, shows the railroad network of British Honduras (present-day Belize). Under the Treaty of Versailles of 1783, the Spanish Empire granted Britain the right to harvest timber in the region between the Hondo and Belize Rivers. In 1862 the crown colony of British Honduras was established. Apart from British Guiana, it was the only British possession on the mainland of Latin America. The colony was important to Britain chiefly as a source of logwood and, later, mahogany. The railroads shown on the map are all quite small and were used primarily to transport lumber, sugar cane, and bananas to the coast. A proposed longer line from the port of Belize to Guatemala is indicated but was never built. The map also shows the colony's six administrative districts and the small number of towns and cities. British Honduras achieved full independence in 1981, becoming the country of Belize.
- Chamber of Commerce of the United States of America. Transportation and Communication Department Creator.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1920 to 1929]
- - Belize
- - 1920 to 1929
- - Great Britain--Colonies
- - Railroads
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource at: Columbus Memorial Library, Organization of American States.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Chamber Of Commerce Of The United States Of America. Transportation And Communication Department Creator. Railroad Map of British Honduras. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1929, 1920] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668493/.
APA citation style:
Chamber Of Commerce Of The United States Of America. Transportation And Communication Department Creator. (1920) Railroad Map of British Honduras. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1929] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668493/.
MLA citation style:
Chamber Of Commerce Of The United States Of America. Transportation And Communication Department Creator. Railroad Map of British Honduras. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1929, 1920] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668493/>.