Map Venezuela with the Southern Part of New Andalusia. Venezuela cum parte Australi Novae Andalusiae
About this Item
- Venezuela with the Southern Part of New Andalusia.
- Venezuela cum parte Australi Novae Andalusiae
- This 17th-century map of Venezuela and a part of New Andalusia, provinces of the Spanish Empire located in present-day Venezuela, is a copy of an earlier map published in Amsterdam by Henricus Hondius (1597--1651). Hondius was the son of Jodocus Hondius (1563--1612), a Flemish cartographer and engraver who settled in Amsterdam in about 1593 and established a business that produced globes and the first large maps of the world. In 1604 Hondius acquired the plates for Mercator's world atlas and in 1606 published a new edition of this famous work. Following the elder Hondius's death in 1612, Henricus and his brother Jodocus carried on the family business. With his brother-in-law Johann Jansson, Henricus continued publication of what became known as the Mercator-Hondius atlas. The map is in Latin, with place-names given in Spanish. Shown on the right side of the map are the Orinoco River and the island of Trinidad. The cartouche in the lower right features pictures of native peoples and exotic animals. Two scales are provided, in German and French miles.
- Hondius, Hendrik, 1597-1651 Cartographer.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1612 to 1699]
- - Trinidad and Tobago
- - Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of)
- - 1612 to 1699
- - Spain--Colonies
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource at: Columbus Memorial Library, Organization of American States.
- - Content in Latin.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Hondius, Hendrik, Cartographer. Venezuela with the Southern Part of New Andalusia. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1699, 1612] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668501/.
APA citation style:
Hondius, H. (1612) Venezuela with the Southern Part of New Andalusia. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1699] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668501/.
MLA citation style:
Hondius, Hendrik, Cartographer. Venezuela with the Southern Part of New Andalusia. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1699, 1612] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668501/>.