Map National Highways Preliminary Map of the State of Minnesota. National Highways Preliminary Map of the State of Minnesota: Showing Twenty-six Hundred Miles of National Highways
About this Item
- National Highways Preliminary Map of the State of Minnesota.
- National Highways Preliminary Map of the State of Minnesota: Showing Twenty-six Hundred Miles of National Highways
- The National Highways Association (NHA) was established in 1911 to promote the development of an improved national road network in the United States. Under the slogan "Good roads for everyone!" the NHA advocated the building and permanent maintenance by the federal government of a system of 50,000 miles (some 80,500 kilometers) of highways. This map, issued by the NHA in 1916, shows 2,600 miles of national highway proposed for Minnesota. The NHA employed engineers to plan routes with the aim of maximizing the share of each state's population located in counties through which these highways would run. The tables at the lower right give the numbers and percentage of Minnesotans that the NHA calculated would have access to these highways. Besides issuing brochures and circulars aimed at convincing citizens of the need for a national road system, the NHA was a prolific producer of maps. Cartographic work was done at an office in South Yarmouth, Massachusetts, where approximately 40 people were employed on the property of Charles Henry Davis (1865--1951), president and cofounder of the NHA. Davis believed that these maps would be helpful to a national highways commission that he hoped would be established and that they would assist the states in integrating their roads into a national system. Congress never embraced the plan put forward by the NHA, but the organization and its maps helped to promote the cause of a national road network.
- National Highways Association Creator.
Created / Published
- Washington, D.C. : National Highways Association, 1916-04.
- - United States of America--Minnesota
- - 1916
- - Highway planning
- - Roads
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Scale 1:1,560,000"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 1 map : color ; 46 x 39 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Libraries.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- American Geographical Society Library Digital Map Collection
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
National Highways Association Creator. National Highways Preliminary Map of the State of Minnesota. Washington, D.C.: National Highways Association, -04, 1916. Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668507/.
APA citation style:
National Highways Association Creator. (1916) National Highways Preliminary Map of the State of Minnesota. Washington, D.C.: National Highways Association, -04. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668507/.
MLA citation style:
National Highways Association Creator. National Highways Preliminary Map of the State of Minnesota. Washington, D.C.: National Highways Association, -04, 1916. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668507/>.