Map Map of the Great Plains Road. Map of the Great Plains Road: Showing Every City, Town, Village and Hamlet Throughout its Entire Length
About this Item
- Map of the Great Plains Road.
- Map of the Great Plains Road: Showing Every City, Town, Village and Hamlet Throughout its Entire Length
- The National Highways Association (NHA) was established in 1911 to promote the development of an improved national road network in the United States. Under the slogan "Good roads for everyone!" the NHA advocated the building and permanent maintenance by the federal government of a system of 50,000 miles (some 80,500 kilometers) of highways. This map, issued by the NHA in 1915, shows the Great Plains Road, proposed by the Great Plains Road Association and endorsed by the NHA. The projected route runs from the U.S.--Canada border in Portal, North Dakota, to Brownsville, Texas, on the U.S.--Mexico border, a distance of 2,350 miles (3,782 kilometers). The notes and table at the bottom indicate the numbers of states, counties, and cities of different sizes traversed by the route and the population expected to be served. Besides issuing brochures and circulars aimed at convincing citizens of the need for a national road system, the NHA was a prolific producer of maps. Cartographic work was done at an office in South Yarmouth, Massachusetts, where approximately 40 people were employed on the property of Charles Henry Davis (1865--1951), president and cofounder of the NHA. Davis believed that these maps would be helpful to a national highways commission that he hoped would be established and that they would assist the states in integrating their roads into a national system. Congress never embraced the plan put forward by the NHA, but the organization and its maps helped to promote the cause of a national road network.
- A. Hoen and Company Printer.
- Great Plains Road Association Contributor.
- Jenkins, E. E. Cartographer.
- Mulford, John C. Cartographer.
- National Highways Association Creator.
Created / Published
- Washington, D.C. : National Highways Association, 1915-11.
- - United States of America--Kansas
- - United States of America--Nebraska
- - United States of America--North Dakota
- - United States of America--South Dakota
- - United States of America--Texas
- - 1915
- - Highway planning
- - Roads
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Scale 1:5,000,000"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 1 map : color ; 67 x 14 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Libraries.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- American Geographical Society Library Digital Map Collection
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
- A. Hoen and Company
- Great Plains Road Association
- Jenkins, E. E.
- Mulford, John C.
- National Highways Association
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
A. Hoen And Company Printer, Great Plains Road Association Contributor, E. E. Cartographer Jenkins, John C. Cartographer Mulford, and National Highways Association Creator. Map of the Great Plains Road. Washington, D.C.: National Highways Association, -11, 1915. Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668518/.
APA citation style:
A. Hoen And Company Printer, Great Plains Road Association Contributor, Jenkins, E. E. C., Mulford, J. C. C. & National Highways Association Creator. (1915) Map of the Great Plains Road. Washington, D.C.: National Highways Association, -11. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668518/.
MLA citation style:
A. Hoen And Company Printer, et al. Map of the Great Plains Road. Washington, D.C.: National Highways Association, -11, 1915. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668518/>.