Map Colton's Persia, Arabia, Et cetera. Persia, Arabia &c.
About this Item
- Colton's Persia, Arabia, Et cetera.
- Persia, Arabia &c.
- This map showing the Arabian Peninsula, Persia (present-day Iran), Afghanistan, and Baluchistan (present-day Iran and Pakistan) was published in 1855 by the G.W. and C.B. Colton and Company of New York. Coloring is used to indicate borders and certain provinces or settled areas. The map shows cities, mountains, and roads, and includes some notes on topographical features. The old Qatari city of Al Zabara is shown. The map is accompanied by a one-page summary of the geography, people, principal places, and recent history of Afghanistan and Baluchistan. The map later appeared in the 1865 edition of Colton's General Atlas and reflects the general level of geographic knowledge of the Middle East in mid-19th-century America. J.H. Colton & Company was founded in New York City, most likely in 1831, by Joseph Hutchins Colton (1800--93), a Massachusetts native who had only a basic education and little or no formal training in geography or cartography. Colton built the firm into a major publisher of maps and atlases by purchasing the copyrights to and republishing other maps before it began creating its own maps and atlases. In the 1850s, the firm became the G.W. & C.B. Colton Company, after Colton brought his sons, George Woolworth Colton (1827--1901) and Charles B. Colton (1832--1916), into the business. As in this example, virtually all Colton maps were framed in decorative borders of intertwining vines, flowers, or geometric shapes.
- Colton, G. Woolworth (George Woolworth), 1827-1901 Creator.
- J.H. Colton & Company Copyright Holder.
Created / Published
- New York : G.W. and C.B. Colton and Company, 1855.
- - Afghanistan
- - Iran, Islamic Republic of
- - Pakistan
- - Tajikistan
- - Turkmenistan
- - Uzbekistan
- - Cyprus
- - Armenia
- - Azerbaijan
- - Bahrain
- - Iraq
- - Israel
- - Jordan
- - Kuwait
- - Lebanon
- - Oman
- - Qatar
- - Saudi Arabia
- - Syrian Arab Republic
- - Turkey
- - United Arab Emirates
- - Yemen
- - 1855
- - Arabian Gulf
- - Arabian Peninsula
- - Persian Gulf
- - Red Sea
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Scale 1:12,000,000"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 1 map : color ; 31 x 36 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Qatar National Library.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Iran, Islamic Republic of
- Saudi Arabia
- Syrian Arab Republic
- United Arab Emirates
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Colton, G. Woolworth , Creator, and J.H. Colton & Company Copyright Holder. Colton's Persia, Arabia, Et cetera. New York: G.W. and C.B. Colton and Company, 1855. Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668545/.
APA citation style:
Colton, G. W. & J.H. Colton & Company Copyright Holder. (1855) Colton's Persia, Arabia, Et cetera. New York: G.W. and C.B. Colton and Company. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668545/.
MLA citation style:
Colton, G. Woolworth , Creator, and J.H. Colton & Company Copyright Holder. Colton's Persia, Arabia, Et cetera. New York: G.W. and C.B. Colton and Company, 1855. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668545/>.