Map Newest Map of Arabia. Neueste Karte Von Arabien
About this Item
- Newest Map of Arabia.
- Neueste Karte Von Arabien
- This color map in German appeared as plate 80 in Grosser Hand-Atlas über alle Theile der Erde (Large portable atlas of all parts of the world), published by the Bibliographic Institute of Joseph Meyer (1796-1856). The map shows the Arabian Peninsula as well as neighboring parts of Africa, including Egypt, present-day Sudan, and Abyssinia (present-day Ethiopia). Colored lines are used to demarcate kingdoms and other political entities. El Bedaa, an old city in Qatar (now the Al Bida area of Doha), is shown. Three inset maps in the upper right hand corner show the cities of El Derreyeh (Ad Dir'īyah), Mekka (Mecca), and Medina. An unusual feature of the map is the large number of distance scales provided, which reflects both the thoroughness of the mapmaker and the lack of international standardization at the time. They include geographic miles, English miles, French leagues, Dutch miles, Spanish leagues, Portuguese leagues, Italian miles, Danish miles, Swedish miles, Russian versts, Greek miles, and nautical miles. Meyer was a successful German businessman who founded the Bibliographic Institute as a publishing house in 1826. The firm specialized in producing low-cost editions of the classics, atlases, encyclopedias, and other books for purchase by the general public.
- Meyer, Joseph, 1796-1856 Associated Name.
- Radefeld, Carl Christian Franz, 1788-1874 Contributor.
Created / Published
- Hildburghausen : Bibliographisches Institut Leipzig, 1845.
- - Djibouti
- - Eritrea
- - Ethiopia
- - Somalia
- - Sudan
- - Iran, Islamic Republic of
- - Bahrain
- - Egypt
- - Iraq
- - Israel
- - Jordan
- - Kuwait
- - Oman
- - Qatar
- - Saudi Arabia
- - United Arab Emirates
- - Yemen
- - 1845
- - Arabian Gulf
- - Arabian Peninsula
- - Persian Gulf
- - Red Sea
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Scale approximately 1:9 300 000"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 1 map ; 35 x 29 centimeters.
- - Reference extracted from World Digital Library: Heinz Sarkowski, "Meyer, Joseph," Neue Deutsche Biographie 17 (1994), http://www.deutsche-biographie.de/pnd118783610.html. External
- - Original resource at: Qatar National Library.
- - Content in German.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Iran, Islamic Republic of
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Meyer, Joseph, Associated Name, and Carl Christian Franz Radefeld. Newest Map of Arabia. Hildburghausen: Bibliographisches Institut Leipzig, 1845. Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668552/.
APA citation style:
Meyer, J. & Radefeld, C. C. F. (1845) Newest Map of Arabia. Hildburghausen: Bibliographisches Institut Leipzig. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668552/.
MLA citation style:
Meyer, Joseph, Associated Name, and Carl Christian Franz Radefeld. Newest Map of Arabia. Hildburghausen: Bibliographisches Institut Leipzig, 1845. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668552/>.