Map Map of Havana. Plano de la Habana
About this Item
- Map of Havana.
- Plano de la Habana
- Estéban Pichardo (1799-1879) was one of Cuba's most important figures in the area of scientific research in the 19th century and its leading representative in the fields of geography and cartography. Plano de la Habana (Map of Havana) is part of a larger work in 35 sheets, Carta Geo-hidro-topográfica de la Isla de Cuba (Geo-hydro-topographic map of the island of Cuba) that Esteban published in 1874--75. Esteban adopted a set of geographic symbols very similar to those used in contemporary maps. His maps also reflected a high degree of mathematical sophistication and remained a major cartographic reference for Cuba up until almost a century later. They were used to help determine that the land area of Cuba was 124,500 square kilometers--a calculation far from reality (according to contemporary geographers, the area of Cuba is 109,884 square kilometers)--but of historical relevance for its time. The map shows contemporary place-names, urban developments in different parts the growing city, streets, noteworthy structures, railroad lines, and the harbor.
- Pichardo y Tapia, Estéban, 1799-1879 Creator.
Created / Published
- Havana, Cuba : [publisher not identified], 1875.
- - Cuba--Havana--Havana
- - 1875
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Scale 1:200,000"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 1 map : color, paper on canvas ; 58 x 76 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Cuba "José Martí".
- - Content in Spanish.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Pichardo Y Tapia, Estéban, Creator. Map of Havana. [Havana, Cuba: publisher not identified, 1875] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668557/.
APA citation style:
Pichardo Y Tapia, E. (1875) Map of Havana. [Havana, Cuba: publisher not identified] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668557/.
MLA citation style:
Pichardo Y Tapia, Estéban, Creator. Map of Havana. [Havana, Cuba: publisher not identified, 1875] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668557/>.