Map Murchison Falls National Park, Uganda.
About this Item
- Murchison Falls National Park, Uganda.
- This map of Murchison Falls National Park, the largest national park in Uganda, was issued in 1956 by the Lands and Surveys Department of the Uganda Protectorate. Shown are the park boundaries, roads and tracks, ranger stations, control points, and the park headquarters and safari lodge. The scale of the map is 1:250,000. The park is bisected by the Victoria Nile, which flows westward from Lake Victoria toward Lake Albert, which it enters in a swampy estuary at the western edge of the park. At Murchison Falls, the river runs through a narrow, eight-meter wide gorge and falls some 43 meters. Also shown on the map are Karuma Falls, on the far eastern edge of the park, and the Albert Nile, which issues from the northern end of Lake Albert and flows north to the border between Uganda and the Republic of Sudan (present-day South Sudan). The park is situated at the northern end of the Albertine Rift Valley, where the Bunyoro Escarpment (which forms part of the southern boundary of the park and is marked on the map) overlooks a vast savanna. It began as a game reserve in 1926 and was made a national park in 1952. It is home to 76 species of mammals and 451 species of birds. The 1951 film The African Queen, starring Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn, was filmed on Lake Albert and the Victoria Nile in Murchison Falls National Park. The falls were named after the Scottish geographer and geologist Roderick Murchison (1792-1871).
- Trustees of the Uganda National Parks Contributor.
- Uganda. Department of Lands and Surveys Creator.
Created / Published
- Entebbe, Uganda : Uganda. Department of Lands and Surveys, 1956-09.
- - Uganda--Western
- - 1956-09
- - Kabalega National Park (Uganda)
- - National parks and reserves
- - Waterfalls
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "From the Uganda National Fisheries Resources Research Institute. Digitized at the National Library of Uganda with support from the Carnegie Corporation of New York."--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 1 map ; 44 x 51 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Uganda.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Trustees Of The Uganda National Parks Contributor, and Uganda. Department Of Lands And Surveys Creator. Murchison Falls National Park, Uganda. Entebbe, Uganda: Uganda. Department of Lands and Surveys, -09, 1956. Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668561/.
APA citation style:
Trustees Of The Uganda National Parks Contributor & Uganda. Department Of Lands And Surveys Creator. (1956) Murchison Falls National Park, Uganda. Entebbe, Uganda: Uganda. Department of Lands and Surveys, -09. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668561/.
MLA citation style:
Trustees Of The Uganda National Parks Contributor, and Uganda. Department Of Lands And Surveys Creator. Murchison Falls National Park, Uganda. Entebbe, Uganda: Uganda. Department of Lands and Surveys, -09, 1956. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668561/>.