Map Sese, Uganda, Africa. Sese, Uganda, Africa, 1:250,000
About this Item
- Sese, Uganda, Africa.
- Sese, Uganda, Africa, 1:250,000
- This map of Sese, an archipelago in the northwestern part of Lake Victoria, Uganda, was issued in July 1938 by the Land and Survey Office of the Uganda Protectorate, based on a survey carried out in 1936 by the protectorate's director of surveys. The map shows roads and tracks on the larger islands, forested regions, and towns and villages. Trigonometrical points from the survey and their heights above sea level in feet are indicated. Many of the islands are marked as uninhabited. The start of the road to Kampala, located some 80 kilometers to the northeast, is indicated in the upper-left-hand corner of the map. The scale is 1:250,000. The Sese Islands (also seen as Ssese) historically were inhabited by the Bassese, a Bantu tribe, and were part of the Kingdom of Buganda, the largest of the Ugandan kingdoms. The main economic activities were fishing for the giant Nile perch, and agriculture. The largest of the 84 islands in the archipelago is Bugala, more than 40 kilometers long. The smallest islands in the group are little more than uninhabited outcroppings of rock. The heading "Tanganyika Territory" below the map refers to a trusteeship under British control in the lands that became present-day Tanzania.
- Uganda. Land and Survey Office Creator.
- Uganda. Survey Department Contributor.
Created / Published
- Entebbe, Uganda : Uganda. Land and Survey Office, 1938-06.
- - Uganda--Central
- - 1938-06
- - Islands
- - Sese Islands (Uganda)
- - Victoria, Lake
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "From the Uganda National Fisheries Resources Research Institute. Digitized at the National Library of Uganda with support from the Carnegie Corporation of New York."--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 1 map ; 67 x 59 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Uganda.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Uganda. Land And Survey Office Creator, and Uganda. Survey Department Contributor. Sese, Uganda, Africa. Entebbe, Uganda: Uganda. Land and Survey Office, -06, 1938. Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668563/.
APA citation style:
Uganda. Land And Survey Office Creator & Uganda. Survey Department Contributor. (1938) Sese, Uganda, Africa. Entebbe, Uganda: Uganda. Land and Survey Office, -06. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668563/.
MLA citation style:
Uganda. Land And Survey Office Creator, and Uganda. Survey Department Contributor. Sese, Uganda, Africa. Entebbe, Uganda: Uganda. Land and Survey Office, -06, 1938. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668563/>.