Map Masaka, Uganda. Masaka: Uganda 1: 250,000
About this Item
- Masaka, Uganda.
- Masaka: Uganda 1: 250,000
- This map of Masaka District, Buganda Province in the Uganda Protectorate (present-day Uganda) was issued by the Uganda Department of Lands and Surveys in 1959. It was compiled by the department from earlier maps and from aerial photography carried out in 1950. The area depicted on the map includes the region west of Lake Victoria and north of the border with Tanganyika Territory (present-day Tanzania), including the northwestern part of Lake Victoria containing the Sese Islands (also seen as Ssese) and Kome Island. The northern edge of the map is defined by the equator (0° latitude). Shown are roads; natural features, including forest and woodland, swamps, lakes, and rivers; schools; churches; and piers and lighthouses. The town of Masaka, located just west of Lake Nabugabo, is shown. Masaka was at one time Uganda's second-largest city, after Kampala, but it was largely destroyed in the Uganda-Tanzania war of 1979 and the Ugandan civil war of 1981-86. An index grid in the lower right identifies adjoining sheets to this map. The map scale is 1:250,000. Distances are shown in kilometers and miles. Elevations are in feet.
- Great Britain Copyright Holder.
- Uganda. Department of Lands and Surveys Creator.
Created / Published
- Entebbe, Uganda : Uganda. Department of Lands and Surveys, 1959.
- - Uganda--Central
- - Uganda--Central--Masaka
- - 1959
- - Sese Islands (Uganda)
- - Victoria, Lake
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "From the Uganda National Fisheries Resources Research Institute. Digitized at the National Library of Uganda with support from the Carnegie Corporation of New York."--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 1 map ; 59 x 81 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Uganda.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Great Britain Copyright Holder, and Uganda. Department Of Lands And Surveys Creator. Masaka, Uganda. Entebbe, Uganda: Uganda. Department of Lands and Surveys, 1959. Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668572/.
APA citation style:
Great Britain Copyright Holder & Uganda. Department Of Lands And Surveys Creator. (1959) Masaka, Uganda. Entebbe, Uganda: Uganda. Department of Lands and Surveys. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668572/.
MLA citation style:
Great Britain Copyright Holder, and Uganda. Department Of Lands And Surveys Creator. Masaka, Uganda. Entebbe, Uganda: Uganda. Department of Lands and Surveys, 1959. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668572/>.