Map Map of Lango District, Eastern Province.
About this Item
- Map of Lango District, Eastern Province.
- This map of the Lango District in the Eastern Province of Uganda was issued in 1945 by the Department of Surveys of the Uganda Protectorate. Shown are district, provincial, and county boundaries; district and county headquarters; towns and trading centers; roads of different capacities; and post offices and telegraph lines. The map contains several handwritten additions and corrections in red and blue pencil. The Lango District was the traditional homeland of the Lango or Langi people, who inhabit the marshy region northeast of Lakes Kwania and Kyoga in northern Uganda. Both lakes are shown. Part of the northern border of the district was formed by the Aswa River, which flows northward into present-day South Sudan and eventually joins the White Nile. The region to the north of the river is labeled on the map as "uninhabited." After independence, the districts of the Uganda Protectorate were divided into smaller administrative units, and the former Lango District now consists of Apac, Lira, and several other districts. The scale of the map is 1:250,000.
- MacFie, William Campbell Contributor.
- Uganda. Survey Department Creator.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1945.
- - Uganda--Eastern
- - 1945
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "From the Uganda National Fisheries Resources Research Institute. Digitized at the National Library of Uganda with support from the Carnegie Corporation of New York."--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 1 map ; 74 x 79 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Uganda.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Macfie, William Campbell Contributor, and Uganda. Survey Department Creator. Map of Lango District, Eastern Province. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1945] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668579/.
APA citation style:
Macfie, W. C. C. & Uganda. Survey Department Creator. (1945) Map of Lango District, Eastern Province. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668579/.
MLA citation style:
Macfie, William Campbell Contributor, and Uganda. Survey Department Creator. Map of Lango District, Eastern Province. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1945] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668579/>.