Map Map of Arabia and the Persian Gulf.
About this Item
- Map of Arabia and the Persian Gulf.
- This map of the Arabian Peninsula and the Persian Gulf emphasizes the physical terrain and transportation routes as surveyed in 1916 by the Survey of India, the cartographic branch of the British government of India. It was prepared at the beginning of the British campaign against the Ottoman Empire during the First World War. The map provided a general view of the Middle East Theater and was not intended for any particular army operation. It shows the Hejaz Railway, undersea telegraph cables, pilgrimage routes, and the location of oil installations in southwestern Iran. International boundaries are absent from the map. It does show Babylon and the Sasanian ruins at Ctesiphon near Baghdad, two famous sites of archeological interest. The map key on the second of the two sheets explains the abbreviations and symbols used. Relief is shown by hachures and spot elevations. The Survey of India was established in 1767 to assist the British East India Company, and later the British government, in administering its south Asian empire. The map was published in 1917 under the direction of Colonel Sir Sidney Burrard, surveyor general of India. The printing technique was heliozincography, a photographic process using zinc plates that was developed in Britain and that enabled accurate reproduction of images and text. It was printed at the Survey's factory in Dehra Dun, India.
- Burrard, Sidney Gerald, Sir, 1860-1943 Contributor.
- Survey of India Creator.
Created / Published
- Dehra Dun, India : Survey of India Offices, 1917.
- - Iran, Islamic Republic of
- - Bahrain
- - Israel
- - Jordan
- - Oman
- - Qatar
- - Saudi Arabia
- - United Arab Emirates
- - Yemen
- - 1916
- - Arabian Gulf
- - Arabian Peninsula
- - Persian Gulf
- - Red Sea
- - World War, 1914-1918
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Scale: 1 inch = 48 miles."--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 1 map on 2 sheets : color ; sheets 88 x 39 centimeters and 93 x 58 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Libraries.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- American Geographical Society Library Digital Map Collection
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Burrard, Sidney Gerald, Sir, Contributor, and Survey Of India Creator. Map of Arabia and the Persian Gulf. Dehra Dun, India: Survey of India Offices, 1917. Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668618/.
APA citation style:
Burrard, S. G. & Survey Of India Creator. (1917) Map of Arabia and the Persian Gulf. Dehra Dun, India: Survey of India Offices. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668618/.
MLA citation style:
Burrard, Sidney Gerald, Sir, Contributor, and Survey Of India Creator. Map of Arabia and the Persian Gulf. Dehra Dun, India: Survey of India Offices, 1917. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668618/>.