Map "The Daily Telegraph" War Map of Egypt and the Near East (Number 6).
About this Item
- "The Daily Telegraph" War Map of Egypt and the Near East (Number 6).
- This general map of the Middle East was published in London 1918. It shows Anatolia, Egypt, and the Arabian Desert. Despite the title, it is not focused on the region as a theater of battle. The political borders shown on the map are vague, except for the eastern border of Egypt and the Iranian and Russian frontiers. The map was issued at the end of World War I, before the division of Ottoman territories by the League of Nations. Armenia is shown to cover a large portion of Asia Minor. The Strait of Hormuz at the entrance to the Persian Gulf is marked as "Pirate Coast." The present-day states of the Persian Gulf states are labeled "East India Co (Brit)." Railroad routes, both actual and proposed, roads, and tracks are marked. Inset maps depict the Sinai Peninsula and surrounding countries and the wider Southwest Asia region. The map probably was distributed with The Daily Telegraph newspaper. It was published by Geographia, a British firm that issued numerous war maps between 1914 and 1918, described in advertising as "the most extensive series of popular-priced war maps issued." Maps were sold as single sheets, as this one, or in folding pocket editions. Geographia was founded in 1911 by cartographer Alexander Gross. He was by all accounts a colorful personality, "a truculent Hungarian immigrant." His daughter, the successful commercial mapmaker Phyllis Pearsall, called him "an impossible father (loved in retrospect)." After the war, Geographia went into bankruptcy and Gross immigrated to New York, where he reestablished his business. In the 1930s, Pearsall continued the map company in London as Geographers' A-Z Map Company.
- Gross, Alexander, 1879-1958 Creator.
- The Daily Telegraph Associated Name.
Created / Published
- London : Geographia, 1918.
- - Eritrea
- - Sudan
- - Iran, Islamic Republic of
- - Cyprus
- - Russian Federation
- - Armenia
- - Azerbaijan
- - Egypt
- - Georgia
- - Iraq
- - Israel
- - Jordan
- - Kuwait
- - Lebanon
- - Saudi Arabia
- - Syrian Arab Republic
- - Turkey
- - 1918
- - Arabian Gulf
- - Arabian Peninsula
- - Persian Gulf
- - Red Sea
- - World War, 1914-1918
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Scale about 1:4,500,000"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 1 map : color ; 85 x 54 centimeters, folded to 19 x 12 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Libraries.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- American Geographical Society Library Digital Map Collection
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Iran, Islamic Republic of
- Russian Federation
- Saudi Arabia
- Syrian Arab Republic
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Gross, Alexander, Creator, and The Daily Telegraph Associated Name. "The Daily Telegraph" War Map of Egypt and the Near East Number 6. London: Geographia, 1918. Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668625/.
APA citation style:
Gross, A. & The Daily Telegraph Associated Name. (1918) "The Daily Telegraph" War Map of Egypt and the Near East Number 6. London: Geographia. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668625/.
MLA citation style:
Gross, Alexander, Creator, and The Daily Telegraph Associated Name. "The Daily Telegraph" War Map of Egypt and the Near East Number 6. London: Geographia, 1918. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668625/>.