Map Picturesque Map of Havana with House Numbers. Plano Pintoresco de La Habana con los números de las casas
About this Item
- Picturesque Map of Havana with House Numbers.
- Plano Pintoresco de La Habana con los números de las casas
- José María de la Torre y de la Torre (1815-73) was a Cuban geographer, archaeologist, historian, and educator. De la Torre's 1849 Plano Pintoresco de La Habana con los números de las casas (Picturesque map of Havana with house numbers) has great importance from a geographic point of view. The map shows the names of the streets, house numbers, promenades, fortifications, and public buildings, and the division of the city by neighborhoods. The scale is in varas castellanas (Castilian yards, an old unit of measurement that varied with time and place, equivalent to about 0.84 meters). An inset map in the lower right shows the port of Havana and nearby areas, including the fortifications of El Morro, La Punta, and La Cabaña. The map is framed by 14 engraved illustrations from Album Pintoresco de La Isla de Cuba (Picturesque album of the island of Cuba) by Federico Mialhe (1810-81), giving the map an artistic beauty. The engravings depict: a fashionable crowd gathered at the Noble Havana Fountain (also known as the Indian Fountain) on Isabel II Promenade, the Gran Teatro de Tacón, the jail and penitentiary, Havana Cathedral, the military hospital, Villanueva train station, Morro Castle, a fine general view of Havana, the gas reservoir, the Templete (a monument to the religious foundation of Havana), the grand house of the Count of Fernandina, the almshouse, City Hall, and Havana circus building.
- Barnard, William S., 1774-1849 Engraver.
- Mialhe, Frédéric, 1810-1881 Artist.
- Torre, José María de la, 1815-1873 Cartographer.
Created / Published
- Havana, Cuba : [publisher not identified], 1849.
- - Cuba--Havana--Havana
- - 1849
- - Cathedrals
- - Government buildings
- - Harbors
- - Hospitals
- - Jails
- - Monuments and memorials
- - Railroad stations
- - Street scenes
- - Theaters
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 map : paper ; 56 x 46 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Cuba "José Martí".
- - Content in Spanish.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Barnard, William S., Engraver, Frédéric Mialhe, and José María De La Torre. Picturesque Map of Havana with House Numbers. [Havana, Cuba: publisher not identified, 1849] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668628/.
APA citation style:
Barnard, W. S., Mialhe, F. & Torre, J. M. D. L. (1849) Picturesque Map of Havana with House Numbers. [Havana, Cuba: publisher not identified] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668628/.
MLA citation style:
Barnard, William S., Engraver, Frédéric Mialhe, and José María De La Torre. Picturesque Map of Havana with House Numbers. [Havana, Cuba: publisher not identified, 1849] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668628/>.