Map Map of the Island of Newfoundland, 1689.
About this Item
- Map of the Island of Newfoundland, 1689.
- This nautical map of the Gulf of Saint Lawrence was drawn in 1689 by the Basque cartographer Pierre Detcheverry at Plaisance (present-day Placentia, Newfoundland, Canada), the French capital of Newfoundland, for Governor Antoine Parat. It contains many place-names in the Basque language and details the many anchorages along the coast between Newfoundland and Tadoussac (present-day Quebec). Along with the Portuguese, the Basques were early arrivals to the fishing grounds off the coast of Newfoundland. They began whaling and fishing for cod in these waters around 1525. Their method was to sail to North America in the spring and to return to their homeports in the Bay of Biscay in December or January, when ice conditions in the North Atlantic worsened. By the late 17th century, when this map was made, French fishermen and sailors, many of them Basques, had been plying these waters for more than 150 years. The scale is given in lieus (leagues), an old French measurement that varied by degrees and time; very approximately, one lieu = three kilometers. The map is from the Navy Hydrographic Office Collection in the National Library of France, which was deposited in the library in several stages between 1942 and 1965. The collection derives from the French navy's General Repository of Maps and Plans, Journals and Memoirs, which was established by King Louis XV in 1720 in order to collect the documentation needed to produce reliable nautical maps.
- Detcheverry, Pierre Cartographer.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1689.
- - Canada--New Brunswick
- - Canada--Newfoundland and Labrador
- - Canada--Nova Scotia
- - Canada--Prince Edward Island
- - Canada--Quebec
- - 1689
- - Manuscript maps
- - Nautical charts
- - Parat, Antoine, died 1696
- - Portolan charts
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 map : manuscript, color on parchment ; 32.5 x 57 centimeters.
- - Reference extracted from World Digital Library: René Baudry, "Parat, Antoine," in Dictionary of Canadian Biography 1 (Toronto: University of Toronto/Université Laval, 2003-- ).|"Basques," The Canadian Encyclopedia, http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/basques/ External
- - Original resource at: National Library of France.
- - Content in Basque and French.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Detcheverry, Pierre Cartographer. Map of the Island of Newfoundland. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1689] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668629/.
APA citation style:
Detcheverry, P. C. (1689) Map of the Island of Newfoundland. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668629/.
MLA citation style:
Detcheverry, Pierre Cartographer. Map of the Island of Newfoundland. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1689] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668629/>.