Map Map for the Clarification of Land Titles in New France, 1678. Carte pour seruir à l'éclaircissement du Papier Terrier de la Nouvelle-France
About this Item
- Map for the Clarification of Land Titles in New France, 1678.
- Carte pour seruir à l'éclaircissement du Papier Terrier de la Nouvelle-France
- This large and beautiful map by Jean-Baptiste Franquelin (1651--after 1712), later the royal hydrographer in Quebec, shows the French presence in the Saint Lawrence valley and Atlantic Canada in 1678. For 20 years from the early 1670s, maps by Franquelin accompanied reports to France sent by the highest officials in its American territories. This map was dedicated to Jean-Baptise Colbert (1619-83), minister of finance under King Louis XIV, who was interested in the colonization of New France. The map includes illustrations of the animals, plants, and people of this part of North America. The drawings of the animals are not very accurate, but bear, beaver, and moose are clearly recognizable. Lake Erie and Lake Ontario are shown, along with parts of Lake Huron and Hudson's Bay. Settlements along the Saint Lawrence River are indicated by name, and Acadia (present-day Nova Scotia), Labrador, and Newfoundland are prominently marked. Scale is in French leagues, a unit of measurement that varied over time, and is approximately 1:1,630,000. Notwithstanding Colbert's interest, France had only limited success in settling its vast North American colony. Unlike the English, the French did not migrate in large numbers to New France because of urban poverty or religious persecution, and the monarchy did not show much interest in supporting settlement over the long term.
- Franquelin, Jean-Baptiste, 1651-1712 Cartographer.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1678.
- - Canada--New Brunswick
- - Canada--Newfoundland and Labrador
- - Canada--Nova Scotia
- - Canada--Ontario
- - Canada--Quebec
- - United States of America--New York
- - 1678
- - France in America
- - France--Colonies
- - Great Lakes Region (North America)
- - Land titles
- - New France
- - Real property
- - Saint Lawrence River Valley
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 8 pieces ; 1092 x 1907 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of France.
- - Content in French.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
- New Brunswick
- New York
- Newfoundland and Labrador
- Nova Scotia
- United States of America
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Franquelin, Jean-Baptiste, Cartographer. Map for the Clarification of Land Titles in New France. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1678] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668649/.
APA citation style:
Franquelin, J. (1678) Map for the Clarification of Land Titles in New France. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668649/.
MLA citation style:
Franquelin, Jean-Baptiste, Cartographer. Map for the Clarification of Land Titles in New France. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1678] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668649/>.