Map General Map of the Republic of Nicaragua, 1858. Mapa general de la republica Nicaragua
About this Item
- General Map of the Republic of Nicaragua, 1858.
- Mapa general de la republica Nicaragua
- Maximilian von Sonnenstern was a German civil engineer who was employed for many years by the government of Nicaragua and carried out detailed surveys of the country. Sonnenstern's Mapa general de la republica Nicaragua (General map of the Republic of Nicaragua) is the first official map of Nicaragua, created by order of the Nicaraguan government. The map contains four cross sections, showing the heights of mountains and volcanoes. Three inset maps depict the towns of León, Granada, and Viejo León (the old city of León that was abandoned by its inhabitants following the earthquake of 1610 and relocated to the site of present-day León). The map shows the international borders with Honduras and Costa Rica, department borders, roads, planned railroad lines, rivers, mines, ruins, and the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. Relief is shown by hachures. Two distance scales are given: Castilian leagues and English miles (one Castilian league = 4.18 kilometers; one mile = 1.61 kilometers). Nicaragua was long considered a possible location for an isthmian canal. In 1874 Sonnenstern published Report of the Nicaragua Route for an Interoceanic Ship Canal, which was commissioned by the Nicaraguan minister of public works and published in the United States by the United States Coast and Geodetic Survey.
- Kraetzer, G. Lithographer.
- Rau, J. Printer.
- Sonnenstern, Maximilian von Creator.
Created / Published
- New York : Maximilian von Sonnenstern, 1858.
- - Nicaragua
- - 1858
- - Topographic maps
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Scale 1:700,000"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 1 map : color ; 54 x 74 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Libraries.
- - Content in Spanish.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- American Geographical Society Library Digital Map Collection
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Kraetzer, G. Lithographer, J. Printer Rau, and Maximilian Von Creator Sonnenstern. General Map of the Republic of Nicaragua. New York: Maximilian von Sonnenstern, 1858. Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668654/.
APA citation style:
Kraetzer, G. L., Rau, J. P. & Sonnenstern, M. V. C. (1858) General Map of the Republic of Nicaragua. New York: Maximilian von Sonnenstern. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668654/.
MLA citation style:
Kraetzer, G. Lithographer, J. Printer Rau, and Maximilian Von Creator Sonnenstern. General Map of the Republic of Nicaragua. New York: Maximilian von Sonnenstern, 1858. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668654/>.