Map The Province of Tierra Firme and the New Kingdom of Granada and Popayán. Terra Firma et Novum Regnum Granatense et Popayan
About this Item
- The Province of Tierra Firme and the New Kingdom of Granada and Popayán.
- Terra Firma et Novum Regnum Granatense et Popayan
- This map of 1631 by Willem Janszoon Blaeu (1571--1638) shows Central America and the northwestern part of South America, including all or parts of Colombia, Ecuador, and Venezuela. A Dutch text on the reverse of the map explains the geography of the regions depicted, which encompassed the Spanish viceroyalty of New Granada and the province of Popayán, which took its name from the colonial city located at the foot of Volcán Puracé in the Cordillera Central of the Andes. The map shows rivers and other geographic features, along with towns and missions. Relief is shown pictorially. The map has two distance scales, Spanish leagues and German miles. Blaeu places a hand-colored compass rose in the Caribbean Sea (labeled the Northern Ocean, the term for the Atlantic in use at the time), and another, slightly larger one in the Pacific (labeled the Southern Ocean). The title, scales, Blaeu's signature, and other information on the map are in Latin, but place-names are in Spanish. Blaeu was a leading Dutch cartographer and map publisher and the founder of a family of distinguished mapmakers that included his sons Joan and Cornelis. Born in the Netherlands in 1571, between 1594 and 1596 Blaeu studied in Denmark under the astronomer Tycho Brahe, where he developed skills as an instrument and globe maker. Upon returning to Amsterdam, he founded the family map company. In 1608 he was appointed chief hydrographer of the Vereenigde Oost-Indische Compagnie (United East Indian Company), a position he held until his death. The use of the compass rose and the careful marking of capes, islands, and shallows along the coasts reflect his interest in marine cartography.
- Blaeu, Willem Janszoon, 1571-1638 Creator.
Created / Published
- Amsterdam : Willem Janszoon Blaeu, 1631.
- - Colombia
- - Costa Rica
- - Panama
- - 1631
- - Territories and possessions
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Scale 1:4,000,000"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 1 map : color ; 36 x 47 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Libraries.
- - Content in Latin and Dutch and Spanish.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- American Geographical Society Library Digital Map Collection
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Blaeu, Willem Janszoon, Creator. The Province of Tierra Firme and the New Kingdom of Granada and Popayán. Amsterdam: Willem Janszoon Blaeu, 1631. Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668668/.
APA citation style:
Blaeu, W. J. (1631) The Province of Tierra Firme and the New Kingdom of Granada and Popayán. Amsterdam: Willem Janszoon Blaeu. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668668/.
MLA citation style:
Blaeu, Willem Janszoon, Creator. The Province of Tierra Firme and the New Kingdom of Granada and Popayán. Amsterdam: Willem Janszoon Blaeu, 1631. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668668/>.