Map Comparative View of the Extent and Population of the Colonial Possessions of Great Britain and Other Powers.
About this Item
- Comparative View of the Extent and Population of the Colonial Possessions of Great Britain and Other Powers.
- This map shows the extent of the British and the other European empires at the time it was published, in 1829. Different colors are used to indicate the colonial possessions of Great Britain, France, Spain, Portugal, the Netherlands, Denmark, and Sweden. A table at the bottom lists all of the possessions of these seven powers, their size in square miles, populations, and exports to and imports from their respective mother countries (in pounds sterling). Britain's overall trade with its colonies was roughly in balance, but this was the result of a large deficit with the West Indies (largely accounted for by imports of sugar) being offset by large surpluses with the other colonies. The table in the lower right gives the populations of both the British colonies and the major foreign powers, along with British exports to them and per capita levels of consumption. The population of the United States is given as 12 million, that of Russia, the largest country in Europe, as 56.5 million. The map itself shows the extent of European imperial expansion in 1829. The scramble for Africa had not yet begun, and European colonies in Africa were, apart from the Cape of Good Hope (present-day South Africa), little more than coastal outposts. The Hudson's Bay Territory (much of present-day Canada) is shown as extending into several states of the American Pacific Northwest, reflecting British claims to this territory that were not abandoned until 1846, when the U.S.-- Canada border was set by treaty at 49° North. The map was produced by James Wyld (1790--1836), geographer to the king and founder of a map-publishing firm that was carried on by his son, James Wyld the Younger (1812--87).
- Wyld, James, 1790-1836 Creator.
Created / Published
- London : James Wyld, 1829-07-01.
- - 1829
- - Great Britain--Colonies
- - Population--Statistics
- - Territories and possessions
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 map : dissected and mounted on linen, color ; 39 x 55 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Libraries.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- American Geographical Society Library Digital Map Collection
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Wyld, James, Creator. Comparative View of the Extent and Population of the Colonial Possessions of Great Britain and Other Powers. London: James Wyld, -07-01, 1829. Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668669/.
APA citation style:
Wyld, J. (1829) Comparative View of the Extent and Population of the Colonial Possessions of Great Britain and Other Powers. London: James Wyld, -07-01. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668669/.
MLA citation style:
Wyld, James, Creator. Comparative View of the Extent and Population of the Colonial Possessions of Great Britain and Other Powers. London: James Wyld, -07-01, 1829. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668669/>.