Map Province of Corunna. Provincia de La Coruña
About this Item
- Province of Corunna.
- Provincia de La Coruña
- This color lithographic map shows the Province of La Coruña in Galicia, northwestern Spain. The map is flanked by a geographical review of the province on the left and a historical overview on the right. Above the map are the provincial shield and illustrations of figures in traditional costumes, allegories, and a dedication. Below the map is a view of the capital of the province, also called La Coruña. The map shows the division of the province into partidos (judicial districts); scale is given in both leagues and kilometers. The name of the publisher, Francisco Boronat y Satorre, and the number of the map, 1, appear in the lower left. Boronat produced several editions of atlases of Spain, beginning in 1870 and continuing for the next 20 years. The titles of the atlases varied between editions: España Geográfica Histórica Ilustrada (Illustrated geographical history of Spain) or Atlas Geográfico Histórico de las provincias de España (Historical geographic atlas of the provinces of Spain). Boronat made use of the technology of chromolithography, which represented a great advance over previous methods, which required the hand coloring of printed maps. The technology was developed in Germany in the early 19th century and by 1840 had spread to France and England. In the 1880s Swiss chemist Hans Jakob Schmid invented photochrome, a chromolithographic process using colored black-and-white negatives, which enabled mass production of images in color before the days of color photography.
- Boronat y Satorre, Francisco, 19th century Lithographer.
Created / Published
- Madrid : Francisco Boronat y Satorre, 1875.
- - Spain--Galicia
- - 1875
- - Cityscapes
- - Clothing and dress
- - Geography
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Scale approximately 1:1,001,000"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 1 map : color ; 51 x 68.5 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Library of Galicia.
- - Content in Spanish.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Boronat Y Satorre, Francisco, 19Th Century Lithographer. Province of Corunna. Madrid: Francisco Boronat y Satorre, 1875. Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668682/.
APA citation style:
Boronat Y Satorre, F. (1875) Province of Corunna. Madrid: Francisco Boronat y Satorre. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668682/.
MLA citation style:
Boronat Y Satorre, Francisco, 19Th Century Lithographer. Province of Corunna. Madrid: Francisco Boronat y Satorre, 1875. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668682/>.