Map New Map of Persia. Nieuwe kaart van tryk van Persie
About this Item
- New Map of Persia.
- Nieuwe kaart van tryk van Persie
- Isaak Tirion (circa 1705-circa 1769) was born in Utrecht and later became a publisher and bookseller with a business on the Kalverstraat in Amsterdam. He published a number of important books, atlases, and charts and served on the board of the guild of booksellers. This map appeared in Tirion's Nieuwe en Beknopte Hand-Atlas, bestaande in eene Verzameling van eenige der algemeenste en nodigste Landkaarten (New and concise pocket atlas, consisting of a collection of some of the most common and most essential maps), first published in Amsterdam in 1744. The map shows the countries within the Ottoman Empire in the mid-18th century, clearly depicted in different colors. In the upper left is a bit of the Black Sea and the Sea of Azov. In the upper right is part of Tartary and Tashkent (in present-day Uzbekistan). In the lower right is the mouth of the Indus River where it enters the Arabian Sea, and in the lower left is the Arabian Gulf and eastern Arabia. Catara (Qatar) appears as a place-name and the pearl banks are depicted. Scale is shown in Dutch, English, and French miles.
- Tirion, Isaak, circa 1705-circa 1769 Cartographer.
Created / Published
- Amsterdam : Isaak Tirion, 1744.
- - Iran, Islamic Republic of
- - 1744
- - Arabian Gulf
- - Caspian Sea
- - Persian Gulf
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Scale approximately 1:10,000,000"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 1 map : hand colored ; 23.5 x 36.5 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Qatar National Library.
- - Content in Dutch.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Tirion, Isaak, Circa Circa 1769 Cartographer. New Map of Persia. Amsterdam: Isaak Tirion, 1744. Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668704/.
APA citation style:
Tirion, I. (1744) New Map of Persia. Amsterdam: Isaak Tirion. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668704/.
MLA citation style:
Tirion, Isaak, Circa Circa 1769 Cartographer. New Map of Persia. Amsterdam: Isaak Tirion, 1744. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668704/>.