Map Arabia: With the Adjacent Countries of Egypt and Nubia. Arabia : with the adjacent countries of Egypt & Nubia
About this Item
- Arabia: With the Adjacent Countries of Egypt and Nubia.
- Arabia : with the adjacent countries of Egypt & Nubia
- William Home Lizars (1788-1859) was a Scottish engraver and painter and the son of the engraver Daniel Lizars. This map appears identical to the one engraved by Daniel, which appeared in The Edinburgh Geographical and Historical Atlas published by John Hamilton in 1831. It is plate 47 of the atlas. Relief is shown by hachures, and scale is indicated in British statute miles. The map shows towns and other settlements, oases, caravan routes to Mecca from different directions, and other geographic features. Present-day Jordan, Israel, and Sinai are labeled as Arabia Petraea; present-day Sudan is identified as Nubia; Eritrea and Ethiopia are marked Abyssina; and northern Somalia is called Myrrh and Incense Country. The Red Sea islands of Dahlak and Jabal Zuqar (labeled Gebel Zeghir) are disproportionately large. Qatar is marked on the map as Catura and a tiny hint of the Qatar Peninsula can be seen on the map. Previously this region of the northern shore of Arabia was depicted as flat and it had only begun to be mapped at the very time of the publication of the original map made by Daniel Lizars. The pearl banks in the region of Qatar are also labeled.
- Lizars, Daniel, 1760-1812 Contributor.
- Lizars, W.H. (William Home), 1788-1859 Engraver.
Created / Published
- Edinburgh : W. Lizars, 1831.
- - Eritrea
- - Ethiopia
- - Somalia
- - Sudan
- - Iran, Islamic Republic of
- - Bahrain
- - Egypt
- - Iraq
- - Israel
- - Jordan
- - Kuwait
- - Oman
- - Qatar
- - Saudi Arabia
- - United Arab Emirates
- - Yemen
- - 1831
- - Arabian Gulf
- - Arabian Peninsula
- - Maps
- - Persian Gulf
- - Red Sea
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 map : hand colored ; 39 x 50 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Qatar National Library.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Iran, Islamic Republic of
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Lizars, Daniel, Contributor, and W.H Lizars. Arabia: With the Adjacent Countries of Egypt and Nubia. Edinburgh: W. Lizars, 1831. Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668729/.
APA citation style:
Lizars, D. & Lizars, W. H. (1831) Arabia: With the Adjacent Countries of Egypt and Nubia. Edinburgh: W. Lizars. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668729/.
MLA citation style:
Lizars, Daniel, Contributor, and W.H Lizars. Arabia: With the Adjacent Countries of Egypt and Nubia. Edinburgh: W. Lizars, 1831. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668729/>.