Map New and Accurate Map of Arabia, Asian Turkey, etc.. Nieuwe en naukeurige kaart van Arabien Asiatisch Turkyen enz
About this Item
- New and Accurate Map of Arabia, Asian Turkey, etc..
- Nieuwe en naukeurige kaart van Arabien Asiatisch Turkyen enz
- Emanuel Bowen (circa 1694-1767) enjoyed great renown as a cartographer, engraver, and publisher of maps. His prolific output and ability was recognized to such an extent that he was official engraver both to King George II of Great Britain and to King Louis XV of France. The map presented here was created and first engraved by Bowen, and it appeared in several of his publications in the 1740s, particularly A Complete System of Geography. This version of the map was engraved by Jan van Jagen of Amsterdam, and improved by Willem Albert Bachiene (1712-83), a Dutch geographer, astronomer, and preacher, who produced many maps of the Holy Land that appeared in 18th century Bibles. Relief is shown pictorially, and scale is indicated in English and Arabian miles. The title and scale are given in a decorative cartouche, and there is a small compass rose. The map shows major settlements, caravan routes, oases, and other geographic features. Much of the interior of Arabia remains somewhat fanciful but more accurate detail is beginning to emerge. However, the body of water to the west of the Arabian Peninsula labeled the "Red Sea or Arabian Gulf" is disproportionately wide and shown with many islands and pearl banks. In the area of Qatar is a town labeled "Catema," and two islands appear to signify Bahrain. Parts of northeast Africa are sketched in.
- Bachiene, Willem Albert, 1712-1783 Contributor.
- Bowen, Emanuel, 1693 or 1694-1767 Cartographer.
- Jagen, Jan van, approximately 1710-1796 Engraver.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1769.
- - Armenia
- - Bahrain
- - Georgia
- - Iraq
- - Israel
- - Jordan
- - Kuwait
- - Lebanon
- - Oman
- - Qatar
- - Saudi Arabia
- - Syrian Arab Republic
- - Turkey
- - United Arab Emirates
- - Yemen
- - 1769
- - Arabian Gulf
- - Arabian Peninsula
- - Maps
- - Ottoman Empire, 1288-1918
- - Persian Gulf
- - Red Sea
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "The map covers 21°-61°E., 13°-42°N.|Arabian Peninsula is divided into several regions. Negd (Najd), Chaulan (western Yemen), Yemen of Gelukkig Arabien, Hadramut, Seger, Oman, Bahara; routes from Bassora (Basra) to Jedda (Jiddah) and Mecca and from Basra to Medina and from Baghdad to Medina are traced."--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 1 map : color ; 34 x 41 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Qatar National Library.
- - Content in Dutch.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Saudi Arabia
- Syrian Arab Republic
- United Arab Emirates
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Bachiene, Willem Albert, Contributor, Emanuel Bowen, and Jan Van Jagen. New and Accurate Map of Arabia, Asian Turkey, etc. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1769] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668730/.
APA citation style:
Bachiene, W. A., Bowen, E. & Jagen, J. V. (1769) New and Accurate Map of Arabia, Asian Turkey, etc. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668730/.
MLA citation style:
Bachiene, Willem Albert, Contributor, Emanuel Bowen, and Jan Van Jagen. New and Accurate Map of Arabia, Asian Turkey, etc. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1769] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668730/>.