Map Geographic Map of Europe. Mappa geographico da Europa
About this Item
- Geographic Map of Europe.
- Mappa geographico da Europa
- This map of Europe was published in Brazil before or shortly after the outbreak of World War I in late July of 1914. The table at the upper left of the map lists the population and size of the armies and navies of the two competing alliances in Europe, the Triple Alliance and the Triple Entente. Italy is listed as a member of the Triple Alliance, along with Germany and Austria-Hungary. Italy chose not to remain in the Triple Alliance and ultimately joined the war in April 1915 on the side of Great Britain, France, and Russia. The top margin above the map shows the main powers involved in the war -- Germany, Italy, Britain, France, Russia, Serbia, and Austria-Hungary-with the flag, a photograph of the president or ruling monarch, and the population, wartime strength of the army, and the tonnage of the navy presented for each country. The portraits of leaders and corresponding statistics of other countries of Europe are shown around the other margins of the map. The map was produced as an advertisement for the Souza Cruz cigar and cigarette company of Rio de Janeiro (in which British American Tobacco acquired a controlling stake in 1914) and reflects the keen interest with which people in Brazil, as in other countries, followed developments in Europe as the continent plunged into war. Brazil was the only country in South America to declare war on Germany and the only country in Latin America to participate militarily in World War I. Like the United States, Brazil originally maintained strict neutrality in the conflict between the Allied and Central powers. However, in October 1917, following attacks by German submarines on Brazilian merchant ships, Brazil entered the war on the side of the Allies. The Brazilian army did not send troops to Europe, but the Brazilian navy helped to patrol the South Atlantic for German submarines. Brazil was also an important supplier of commodities to the Allies during the war.
- Companhia Souza Cruz Indústria e Comércio Contributor.
Created / Published
- Rio de Janeiro : Pimenta de Mello, 1914.
- - Brazil
- - 1914
- - Flags
- - Kings and rulers
- - Maps
- - World War, 1914-1918
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 map : color ; 48 x 66 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Brazil.
- - Content in Portuguese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- World War I
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Companhia Souza Cruz Indústria E Comércio Contributor. Geographic Map of Europe. Rio de Janeiro: Pimenta de Mello, 1914. Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668734/.
APA citation style:
Companhia Souza Cruz Indústria E Comércio Contributor. (1914) Geographic Map of Europe. Rio de Janeiro: Pimenta de Mello. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668734/.
MLA citation style:
Companhia Souza Cruz Indústria E Comércio Contributor. Geographic Map of Europe. Rio de Janeiro: Pimenta de Mello, 1914. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668734/>.