Map Military Map of the Theater of War. Mappa militar do Theatro da Guerra
About this Item
- Military Map of the Theater of War.
- Mappa militar do Theatro da Guerra
- This map, published in Brazil in 1914, was intended to acquaint readers with the main powers involved in World War I. The heads of state and the flags of Austria-Hungary, Germany, Russia, Belgium, France, Great Britain, Serbia, Montenegro, Italy, and Portugal are shown. At the bottom of the map, figures are given for the size of the army and the navy of each of the powers, with the figures of a soldier in the national uniform and a ship for each country shown in different sizes to indicate the relative size of these forces. Although quite simple, the graphic is effective in showing the numerical preponderance of the Russian, German, and to some extent French armies, and the quantitative strength of the British navy. The names of capitals are underlined, and red dots are used to indicate the principal fortresses on the continent. This simple and colorful map also shows how different Europe looked in 1914 from what it was to become after the war and the Paris Peace Conference of 1919. Four empires-the German, Austro-Hungarian, Russian, and Ottoman Turkish-collapsed as a consequence of World War I, leading to the establishment of many more independent nation states. The war also hastened independence for Ireland, shown here as still part of the United Kingdom, and resulted in territorial changes in the border between Austria and Italy in favor of the latter.
- Belfort, W. Contributor.
- Ferreira, J. Recipient.
Created / Published
- Rio de Janeiro : Estto. Graphico F. Borgonovo, 1914.
- - 1914
- - Flags
- - Kings and rulers
- - Maps
- - World War, 1914-1918
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 map : color ; 56 x 71.5 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Brazil.
- - Content in Portuguese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- World War I
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Belfort, W. Contributor, and J. Recipient Ferreira. Military Map of the Theater of War. Rio de Janeiro: Estto. Graphico F. Borgonovo, 1914. Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668739/.
APA citation style:
Belfort, W. C. & Ferreira, J. R. (1914) Military Map of the Theater of War. Rio de Janeiro: Estto. Graphico F. Borgonovo. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668739/.
MLA citation style:
Belfort, W. Contributor, and J. Recipient Ferreira. Military Map of the Theater of War. Rio de Janeiro: Estto. Graphico F. Borgonovo, 1914. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668739/>.